How would you make a canal city work as a fantasy RPG setting?

JAMUMU

actually dracula
Things I'd like answered in a canal city setting, to make it interesting?:

a) What's under water in the wet areas?

b) What's exposed in the areas where the water has dried up, or where certain areas are flooded by tidal forces?

c) Which factions control the gondoliering?

d) Who and what exists on the islands?

e) Where do all the dead bodies go?

f) What's going on with the weird dwarf in the red cloak?

Cruentus

Adventurer
I'd say they'd be rather good for RPG's.

Right off the bat, you end up with a pretty 3D environment to build on and around - buildings are going to be multiple levels, you'll have the canals instead of streets between, then likely bridges of all sorts across the canals, and the buildings as dungeons could go up (as suggested by @MGibster or have them go down into water filled basements, or buildings that have sunk and been built on top of.

Or, have there be access via canal into subbasements or dry areas beneath the city (from before a flood? how are they dry? magic? natural forces?). So many options, and they don't have to necessarily make logical sense.

I also think I'd lean, as a player, into quicker, thief/rogue like characters, or swashbuckling types, just given there would likely be a need to sneak around a lot, hide, not fall into canals, jump from boat to boat, etc. Though this wouldn't be necessary, it would just feel very cloak and dagger.

It also opens up some interesting worldbuilding possibilities, some as mentioned above.

JAMUMU

actually dracula
There's a decent amount of the setting in Blades in the Dark that's canal-based. At least a couple of the city neighbourhoods use canals rather than streets, and it came up quite a bit in the Blades games I've run. Might be worth a look if you can find the pdf or whatevs.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I haven't finished reading the setting yet, so I don't have many details, but....

The Swords of the Serpentine RPG is by default set in a canal city, with a "Lankhmar meets Renaissance Italy" sort of vibe heavy on intrigue, heists, and the like. The historical premise is that the a goddess pulled up a bunch of islands from the bottom of a wide river delta, and the huge chaotic city was built among them. The city is called "Eversink" because its buildings are always slowly sinking back into the ground; this isn't a geological effect, but just a supernatural fact of life in the city.

As expected, the city is criss-crossed by a network of canals large and small, so boats figure heavily, of course. The city's many islands are also connected with bridges, ranging from rickety wooden planks to elaborate stone spans. As well, the islands naturally separate the city into zones or quarters with different atmospheres and influences. There's also a clear contrast between old architecture and new development constantly being added on top of the submerging buildings. Though the game isn't really about delves, afaict, the fact of sinking buildings imply there's a massive, ancient underground world - partially dry, partially flooded - suitable for hiding, exploration, and illicit activity.

Thourne

Hero
Canal cities look cool, but are they suitable for fantasy RPG settings?

Is there a way to have extensive dungeons?

What sort of basic setting assumptions follow from having a canal city?

Are there things having a canal city would enable? Are there things it would limit?
Gonna go with boats.
I was thinking stilts at first but to much trouble.
;)

Thourne

Hero
Now I have this whole thing going in my head simply because I briefly wondered who would be responsible for mucking them out...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases