• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How would YOU nerf the wizard? +

Voadam

Legend
And bang goes the Cleric's main reason for existing.
In 5e Druids and Bards are also full casters with healing from the PH, rangers and paladins have it as half casters, then with supplements there are the sorcerer and warlock subclasses that put healing on their arcane spell list and there are artificers who have it too.

Plus there is HD short rest healing and full recovery long rest for the no magic healing party, along with fighter second wind.

Adding wizards to that list of casters who can heal does not really change the cleric situation. :)

Remathilis

Legend
  • Can only learn random spells at each level up. The possible spell list expands as new spell levels become available. Just cause you hit 5th level wizard doesn't mean you're going to get a 3rd level spell.
  • Cantrips don't scale with level, instead are available to upcast. OR Cantrips scale with level, but you have Intelligence modifier uses per Short/Long Rest.
  • If a spell can be cast as a ritual, it must be prepared as either a regular spell or as a ritual. You may use two of your prepared spells to have it usable as both. When a spell is prepared as a ritual, you expends a use of the appropriate spell slot and do not regain that slot until the spell is removed from your prepared spell list.
  • Remove sacred cows spells like Fireball which are more powerful then their fellow spells of similar level.
  • Steal the Warhammer's scatter dice and apply to any AoE spell where the center is beyond 30ft from caster. Roll a d4 to see how many squares off their intended target they are.

Not to pick on you, but that is EXACTLY what I don't want. Randomness. Crippling costs. Limited choices. The OSR wizard classes tolerated that because they knew in ten levels, if they lived, they would be gods and the game would revolve around them. I would rather flatten the curve than rely on crapshoot mechanics or be useful for exactly one encounter.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
there's theoretically always 20 'turns' in iniative order right? even if most of them aren't played out, given you roll a d20 to determine your iniative, i think it would be a decent nerf if most default spell 'casting times' were delayed in iniative by something like [10+spell level-casting mod] turns, it'd give the rest of the battlefield a chance to react before the spell takes effect be that taking cover or trying to disrupt the caster.

there's theoretically always 20 'turns' in iniative order right? even if most of them aren't played out, given you roll a d20 to determine your iniative, i think it would be a decent nerf if most default spell 'casting times' were delayed in iniative by something like [10+spell level-casting mod] turns, it'd give the rest of the battlefield a chance to react before the spell takes effect be that taking cover or trying to disrupt the caster.
It's not bad in theory, but it's going to be so clumsy to play in practice because now for each caster you would need to track the initiative of spells too.

Jolly Ruby

Privateer
I think paired with the fixed positions in initiative order it could lead to unfun dynamics, where the next adversary after the caster is the designated "spell disruptor". With some unlucky rolls (like a 11 for a wizard and 10 for a rogue) the spellcaster now can never cast a single spell and the next in line have to spend all it's turns bugging the caster.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Weapon speed and casting time should make a comeback, specifically in continuous initiative like Hackmaster 5E (the serious edition).
I am ok with this as long as the order is what is important and not the actual time represented. I think segments were six seconds?

I am good if the speeds and segments are merely abstractions for who goes first with a nod to grounding (I.e. a clunky maul is not as quick as a sword thrust, etc.)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I am ok with this as long as the order is what is important and not the actual time represented. I think segments were six seconds?

I am good if the speeds and segments are merely abstractions for who goes first with a nod to grounding (I.e. a clunky maul is not as quick as a sword thrust, etc.)
A house-rule I've used on the fly:
Light weapons give Advantage on initiative rolls, and Heavy weapons could impose Disadvantage.

Not sure how that would translate to spellcasting, though.

Reynard

Legend

I'm actually talking about a continuous initiative count. You go based on how many time units your declared action costs.

I think I will start a thread on it, rather than put it here.

Remove ads