• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hubcap sandwiches & other misconceptions

Rel

Liquid Awesome
kenobi65 said:
Guilty as well. I just thought it was a really big hammer. :D

And you probably don't want me to draw you a picture of what we thought the "Bohemian Ear Spoon" looked like.

Imagine a "Giant-Ice-Cream-Scoop-O'-Death" and you'd have a good start.

Jyrdan Fairblade said:
I can't remember any real confustions (though I'm sure that there were some), but I do remember having some ghastly pronunciations of words I had never seen before. I'm looking at you, "chitin."

I STILL have horrid pronunciation of some words, even though I know they are wrong, just because I said them that way for years. I was very fond of transposing letters or leaving them out altogether while pronouncing things, so we used encounter Stay-ers (satyrs) and elves used Infrasion (Infravision), among many others. :heh:

JoeBlank

Explorer
Rel said:
Though even he was stumped by the Ixitxachitl. He peered really closely at the spelling and description and there on the first line it said, "FREQUENCY: Very rare" and he said, "Just don't use one of these in your game and you won't have to pronounce it."

And another member of the Rel family comes up with a sig-worthy quote. Brilliant man, your father.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
JoeBlank said:
And another member of the Rel family comes up with a sig-worthy quote. Brilliant man, your father.

If he knew that this was said in this context, I can tell you that he would chuckle, shake his head and say, "Ok..." That's been his reaction to just about everything having to do with my roleplaying hobby. Except when he saw the book I wrote for Rolemaster and said, "Did you write all these words?!"

(to which I replied, "Yeah, that's what we authors DO." Then he called me a smartass and all was right with the world. ;))

atom crash

First Post
I remember thinkly briefly that a two-handed sword had two handles, as in two pommels with a blade between them, sort of like a two-man saw.

I once envisioned vorpal blades as having a scissor-like blade. I think I may have gotten this idea from looking at illustrations of the Greek mythos in the 1E Dieties and Demigods.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Back in the day I heard about one DM who thought 'turn undead' meant clerics made undead pivot in place before they could continue towards the party.

Then there was the confusion with the original magic-user and cleric spell use chart. Since they came with no explanation on how they were to be used, it lead to many a home rule.

Glad I'm not alone with the lucern hammer thing. I had no idea what it was, but since its a hammer clerics must be able to use it, right? Under the circumstances its kind of hard to argue that I hadn't chosen the weapon solely on what damage it does, though.

I remember Call of Cthulhu had a 72 millimetre cannon (or similar). We were all carrying them - after all, its only slightly over 7 centimetres long, right?

We also thought a composite bow was a bow that came in pieces, so could be assembled and taken apart.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
The comment on iron rations reminded me (belatedly) of one DM who found toy rodents cast in metal instead of plastic. Yes, they were iron rats.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads