D&D 5E Human-only campaign setting?

Grimstaff

Explorer
Can anyone recommend a good human-only fantasy campaign setting?

I sometimes grow tired of the pseudo-Tolkienish default settings of D&D, and wouldn't mind exploring 5e in a more Sword & Sorcery, Hyborean-type setting.

Paraxis

Explorer
I hear good things about the Lemuria setting for a game called Barbarians of Lemuria, it uses a different system but if you are just looking for good stories and stuff that shouldn't matter much.

Not sword & sorcery but the old Masque of the Red Death setting for D&D 2e was set in an alternate 1890's earth, and you only played humans if I remember correctly.

There is a d20 Conan book from 3rd edition era, that should be pretty easy to convert and tons of Hyborean lore on the net.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Ravenloft is very human-centric.

Most cities are 90+% human, 1-2% other and the rest halflings.

There is a 3.x Masque of the Red Death book as well that has a tie in with the 3.x Ravenloft books.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
There was the Lankhmar setting for AD&D. A lot of it was crap, especially one author in the line liked to put himself in the adventures, but at least the earlier stuff is decent.

suden

First Post
The old 1e D&D Conan (Conan Unchained! and Conan Against Darkness!) and Red Sonja (Red Sonja Unconquered) modules had some world information for the Hyborean age. There were no demi-humans, it had arcane and divine magic, though it was rare and feared and plenty of monsters. They also had some interesting optional rules, fear checks, luck points and an increased healing rate to make up for rarity of clerics.

Evenglare

Adventurer
I don't know of any specific settings but I have run homebrew with Humans as the only race. I really enjoyed it because I still had elves and dwarves and all the rest, but they were encountered VERY rarely so they felt much more special than they usually would.

Remove ads