• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Human or Eladrin Wizard

Stalker0

Legend
Rith the Wanderer said:
I'm having a similar dilemma for my first character but I think it helps to really break it down.

The human wizard has over the eladrin:
+1 fort and ref (eladrin also get the +1 will so they're even on that)
A feat
An at will
And a slightly better language choice

The eladrin has:
A better extra skill (no class restriction unlike the humans)
+2 dex
Free longsword (kinda useless I know, but hey, shiny sword!)
Trance, Fey origin (these are almost neutral as far as advantages)
Fey Step
Low light Vision
+2 Arcana, +2 History (Rituals for arcana make this pretty important)

This list sells the eladrin a bit short. First of all, that +2 dex is big. That's +1 initiative, +1 to all dex based skills (including acrobatics if you need to escape from a grab, and +1 to attack rolls if you use the wand mastery.

Further, trance is far from useless. Its not like 3.5e when teh wizard tranced 4 hours and then "relaxed" for 4 more...now the eladrin regain their powers faster than any other race. Further, they are always on watch, as they are aware while tranceing. We all know how often players get ambused while sleeping...so do not underestimate that power.

lollerkeet

First Post
Only going by gameday experience, but my eladrin wizard faystepping next to an enemy on a high pedestal and Thuderwaving him onto the ground without taking an OA was rather satisfying. Fay step may not look that good in numeric terms, but in terms of actual play seemed a lot more valuable than an extra feat and an at-will.

Ahglock

First Post
Falling Icicle said:
Don't forget the Eladrin's +2 to Arcana and History. The History bonus is useful for some skill challenges and the Arcana bonus is very nice for rituals. Also, the bonus skill Eladrin get can be any skill, while the Humans are limited to class skills for their bonus skill choice. But really, what it comes down to IMO is whether you want an extra at-will power or fey step.

I had the same dilemma (Human or Eladrin) when making my character, and it was a pretty tough choice. But that's a good thing. It means the two races are pretty well balanced. I ended up picking Eladrin, but Human still tempts me.

I really like the +2 to arcana and history. They stack with anything so the best ritualists are the Eladrin. Eladrin at level 1 can +10 to arcana, and that is kind of cool IMO. Sure the human can get to +8, but the extra +2 has a nice feel for a ritual based character.

kromelizard

First Post
Don't forget the Human's +1 to all defenses. That's half of the bonus to three different attributes right there.

I would say go with human. The wizard is all about variety and utility and the extra at-will only improves the ability of your wizard to be able to provide the right power at the right time. Fey Step is a fantastic power and it is a hard choice, but it's really hard to beat that third at-will for the class that needs to be able to cherry pick which defense he's shooting at, or what element he's throwing, in order to be effective.

If you're missing the Eladrin's +2 to Arcana, just throw the human bonus feat at it and get Skill Focus.

Last edited:

Rashak Mani

First Post
First and foremost you should read the "Wizard's Handbook":

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1039126

Very well written guide on 4e Wizards.

- - - - - - - -

I'd say humans for two reasons... action points and the action surge feat. One more at-will power.

Dex is good for blast wizards... and I think thieflings are better blast wizards due to fire damage bonus. Eladrin dex is nice... as is the fey step.

It really depends on what game level your planning to play... I agree at higher lvls the at-will powers are less relevant.

Remove ads