• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

HW conversions, especially spells

Treebore

First Post
I never took that good of a look at Hollow World. With these restrictions on spell casters I'm glad I did not. As for the few spells that don't seem to be eliminated in a sensible manner why don't you just go ahead and allow them since they don't seem like they would ruin the flavor of the game? After all, you are making up the definitive 3.5 list, so define it sensibly.

Mortis

First Post
Just to throw a spanner in the works.

The spell restrictions were somewhat relaxed after WOTI.

Spells such as resurrection now work, as do others.

(Oops! - cannot remember if this is from a canon source or just from the Vaults of Pandius site - can anyone help?)

Regards,
Mortis

Herzog

Adventurer
ehm. as I mentioned in my first post: I am currently running WOTI.
So, do you mean after the RELEASE of WOTI or after the EVENTS taking place in WOTI?

By the way, I cannot remember a mention of ressurrections working in the HW after WOTI in the WOTI source books, (and I know them practically by heart), so I think it was either a pandius or (possibly) a Mystaran Almanac reference (which I don't own).

Herzog.

On a sidenote: I think I will be dropping the Summoning descriptor rule, since it would also exclude the spell Storm of Vengeance (which has nothing to do with planar travel or mind control/dominance) and stick with banning all spells that require planar travel and/or mind-control and/or dominance.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Herzog said:
By the way, I cannot remember a mention of ressurrections working in the HW after WOTI in the WOTI source books, (and I know them practically by heart), so I think it was either a pandius or (possibly) a Mystaran Almanac reference (which I don't own).

The reference to spells of resurrection working in the HW is a post-WotI addition, and is described in the "Magic in the HW" section of the Poor Wizard's Almanacs.

To be specific, all these types of spells work in the HW post-Wrath:

Spells of Holding (eg, hold person)
Spells of charming and commanding (eg, charm person, quest, geas)
Spells of Immortality (eg, raise dead, resurrection, reincarnation)

Herzog

Adventurer
Yes, a very big difference. For the Post-Wrath setting.

But not for me, since I'm still in the middle of the Wrath-events....

Anyway, I'll try to get my hands on the Almanac ( any idea which one? ) to look up the changes.

Herzog

ps: I'm having a VERY busy month right now, so don't expect a final list any time soon.

Herzog

Adventurer
Hi,

The 'very busy month' has turned into a 'very busy half year' I'm afraid.

My campaign has grinded to a halt, and is on the verge of being completely shut down.
(not that I haven't had long downtimes before, but this one is attempting to be an end instead of a pause)

This all has lead to a decreasing interest in converting the HW setting.

All I can say at the moment is that I the last work I did on the conversion was to stick with the common rules I already posted, and match every spell I encounter on a per-use basis.

One more thing on spellcasters:
The OD&D HW setting restricted spellcasting for HW-born characters to characters with INT/WIS of 16+.

Now, to convert this to 3.5e I was thinking of adapting the spells per day, max spells lists, but after a short while I realised this would cripple them even more than was already the case in OD&D. So, keep the stat 16+ restrictions, but leave the rules as they are.

Herzog

ps: as mentioned, I have no idea if I will be putting effort in this conversion, but since I am posting here again, the odds are better then a few months ago.
I will try to make a final statement on HW spells in the near future, and also compile a list of HW race and class conversions.

Mortis

First Post
Herzog said:
The 'very busy month' has turned into a 'very busy half year' I'm afraid.
Yes, RL is always getting in the way. ;)
One more thing on spellcasters:
The OD&D HW setting restricted spellcasting for HW-born characters to characters with INT/WIS of 16+.
I decided to keep the stat requirements myself. After all, it's actually easier to have stats that high in 3.5e than BD&D.
I will try to make a final statement on HW spells in the near future, and also compile a list of HW race and class conversions.
That's good to hear. In the meantime, you may want to look at what I've done with the HW races in this link. Again, it's something that needs finishing. :D

Regards,
Mortis

Herzog

Adventurer
As people reading the linked thread in the previous post may have noticed, I'm back on converting the HW setting.

Culture conversion discussions are treated in the linked thread, so if people are interested, follow the link!

I will continue the discussion on magic conversion here.

Let me start by presenting my initial ideas on HW unknown spells.

Since listing unknown spells is almost as much work as listing spells that do not work, if not more, I would like to set up a set of rule simmilar to the ones above. I realise this may not be as straightforward as actually compiling a list, but then a compiled list would drag this thread into endless discussions about 'why this spell and this one not', and then we wouldn't get anywhere.

My idea thusfar is to take a look at the HW sourcebooks, try to come up with a generic rule, and then convert that to 3.5e

The following trends become apparent when looking at the HW unkown spells list:
-Instant damage, massive damage and protection spells seem to have gone on the unknown list. This includes magic missile, fire ball, lightning bolt, ice storm/wall, cloudkill, wall of iron, force field, meteor swarm etc.
Other, similar spells however have made it to the 'working' list. example: wall of fire.
-Spells that give you an advantage in a fight have gone on the unknown list. This includes sleep, mirror image, confusion, polymorph, feeblemind, maze, timestop etc.
Other, similar spells however have made it to the 'working' list. example: haste, phantasmal force, projected image.

As mentioned earlier, some of the gazetteers available to the HW cultures introduce spells similar to ones on the unknown list. They tend to be slight alterations with virtual identical effects, although they mostly have lower damage dice, limited usefullness or are set at a higher level.

My current idea is to do the following:
1.Take the list of spells available for a given level. (substract the not-working ones first)
2.a If a spell is specifically designed to counter a spell that does not work in the hollow world, list it as 'unknown'.
2.b If a spell is specifically designed to effect or mimic an element that is rare or unknown in the element, ist it as 'unknown' (ex: spells effecting undead, spells prohibiting planar travel, spells related to the moon)
3.If there are two spells with virtually identical characteristics, move the more powerfull one to the unknown list.
4.If there is a spell with virtually identical characteristics on a lower level, move the spell to the unknown list. (We are assuming the higher level spell is the result of additional research done on the outer world).

5.Divide the remaining list into the schools they belong to.
6.If one of the schools is represented by far more spells than the rest, select the single most powerfull attack, defense or combat-improving spell and move it to the unknown list.
7.Additional spells.
7a.If the culture in question is reasonably civilized (for instance, the milennians), they may have done some research themselves.
-If a spell has been moved to the 'unknown' list under step 4, replace the spell in question with a slightly different spell.
-If a school is underrepresented, try to create a single spell for that school. keep in mind that a lot of spells simply don't work, so don't make the mistake of creating a new spell that cannot function.
7b.Cultures relatively close to nature tend to be focussed more on nature even when using magic.
-If a school is underrpresented, try to find a spell in the druid spell list that would fit into the underrepresented school. Don't take spells from higher levels, but upgrade spells taken from lower levels slightly if you feel you need to.

When creating new spells, incorporate elements native to the hollow world. (for instance, the earlier mentioned 'sunbeam' wich is almost identical to fireball, but consists of a ray of energy coming in a straight line from the central sun).

Ok, that's it so far.
I will try to use my abovementioned rules on the first levels for the sorcerer/wizard list myself, and see what I come up with. In the meantime, feel free to comment!

Herzog

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads