• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hypothetical question for 3pp: 5e goes OGL what would you publish?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'm curious on how one can get almost-simultaneous with the delays it takes to write, edit, playtest, final edit, get it printed and deliver to market.

I don't think WOTC will care if you used their playtest docs to start writing your product privately prior to release of 5e, provided you release it after 5e is released. Once the information is no longer private, it's not confidential thereafter..

Last edited:

Dias Ex Machina

Publisher / Game Designer
Having been on the playtest from the beginning, I won't even touch a DDN edition of Amethyst until we have the final rules in hand. Until then, we still have adaptations of Savage Worlds, 13th Age, Fate Core, Pathfinder, and 4th Edition to complete.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
So the cat is out of the bag huh? Yea, a couple of high level meetings I had at GenCon last year got me the same information several times from different people about 5e being OGL. I didn't believe how committed they were at first until I heard it a second time. The biggest thing I don't know about the moment is when the books will be released and when I can start publishing for it. But I can't wait for the day that it happens. The whole JBE crew is really excited about 5e. We're really looking forward to showing off what we have been working on for a while now.

delericho

Legend
If it is true, and 5e is open via the OGL, then that will be great. To be honest, I'll be astonished that they've managed to get that by Legal, but I guess miracles do happen.

However, I'll believe it when I see it, and not before. Because until we have the license/list of open materials in-hand, there's always a chance they might change their mind.

Dannager

First Post
That sounds like two sources to me. Certainly enough to report that WotC has conveyed to 3pps that 5e will definitely feature an OGL.

Wicht

Hero
That sounds like two sources to me. Certainly enough to report that WotC has conveyed to 3pps that 5e will definitely feature an OGL.

I trust Dale. I assume that Dias is likewise trustworthy.

However, I remember a man named Clark, whom I also trusted, who got rather burned declaring, based on sources he trusted in WotC, that 4e was definitely going to be OGL. I am far more optimistic about it then I was a couple of days ago, but I will believe it will definitely happen when it happens. :)

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
As an aside, to answer the original question...

I am working on a Kaidan campaign guide. If 5e is open, then I would be open to trying to come up with a 5e version of it. After that, some of it would depend on how enjoyable I actually find the system to be in regards to writing adventures. Even if 4e had been open, I didn't like the system's assumptions enough to try and learn it well enough to write adventures for it.

Dias Ex Machina

Publisher / Game Designer
I trust Dale. I assume that Dias is likewise trustworthy.

However, I remember a man named Clark, whom I also trusted, who got rather burned declaring, based on sources he trusted in WotC, that 4e was definitely going to be 4e. :)

Well, 4e did be 4e. It didn't become 5e ;)

I know what you're saying but DEM's reputation is only on the line if we don't deliver on our promise of a DDN Amethyst, which we will regardless of how the future of WOTC turns out. It wasn't my intention to leak out this information when it did. I honestly thought a lot of people, including Morrus, knew. Thankfully, someone else has stepped forward which is a relief.

Remove ads