Hypothetical question for 3pp: 5e goes OGL what would you publish?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That said - hypothetically - there would be Kickstarter from me for DDN versions of our three adventure paths, and possibly a new one.

Gundark

Explorer
My worry is that no such license appears; in which case you've Kickstarted and taken money for something you can't legally provide. It seems like it could risk upsetting people. There's delivery dates of Feb 2014 on that Kickstarter. ((Then again, I'm sure folks would be understanding and wait longer for the DDN stuff - most Kickstarters, including my own, don't meet the schedules).

you do run the risk, that's for sure. Most of the rules he is advertising he can in theory deliver on, only 5e is up in the air.

Dias Ex Machina

Publisher / Game Designer
I've mentioned it on the Kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1894400580/amethyst-fantasy-and-technology-collide) that we have it on authority that there will be at least an SRD and probably an OGL for D&D Next (5E). You would have to have a major regime change at WOTC to cast doubt on that. WOTC is committed in rebuilding their 3PP base after 4E. DEM was the first to sign (so goes the rumor) to the GSL, and we’re even more confident now. That was point one.

Point two is that we stated that when D&D Next is released, we'll then release the version of Amethyst for it. So obviously, we'll be waiting for the final rules before releasing that edition. It won't be a rules-free version--it will be a fully adapted setting using D&D Next. Our release date indicated refers the due date for the majority of the content (4E, Fate Core, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds). I added in an update that both 5E and 13th Age will take a bit longer. If the KS succeeds, content will start being released as early as Christmas and will continue steadily the weeks and months to follow.

Our third point is that if by some weird voodoo circumstance a SRD is NOT released, there are still ways to create a compatible supplement for 5E. I learned that from Joseph Goodman. :)

I hope that clears up any doubt. I remember fielding similar concerns when DEM started mucking around in the 4E sandbox. WOTC never tried to take our IP away. They never flexed copyright or frowned on us breaking philosophy. Of course, they could have done better in their relationship with 3PP, and they know that...

"We aim to create a more cohesive tie between WotC and third parties"

So yes, there will be a fully realized version of Amethyst for 5th Edition. It will happen.

darjr

I crit!
I've mentioned it on the Kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1894400580/amethyst-fantasy-and-technology-collide) that we have it on authority that there will be at least an SRD and probably an OGL for D&D Next (5E). You would have to have a major regime change at WOTC to cast doubt on that. WOTC is committed in rebuilding their 3PP base after 4E. DEM was the first to sign (so goes the rumor) to the GSL, and we’re even more confident now. That was point one.

That's a huge scoop. And really good news. I just wish they'd yell it from the mountain tops. I think it would only be good for them.

edit: [MENTION=58907]DiasExMachina[/MENTION];

I'm not doubting you. I'm just floored. And very curious.

Last edited:

Dias Ex Machina

That's a huge scoop. And really good news. I just wish they'd yell it from the mountain tops. I think it would only be good for them.

...probably because they haven't finalized the rules. I am sure there will at least be an SRD. Even though I was told there would be an OGL, that I am less certain about...but that doesn't concern me to be honest, since I plan on sticking close to WOTC in regards to 5E.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
...probably because they haven't finalized the rules. I am sure there will at least be an SRD. Even though I was told there would be an OGL, that I am less certain about...but that doesn't concern me to be honest, since I plan on sticking close to WOTC in regards to 5E.

Yeah, like @darjr says, if you have that information somehow, you have the hugest scoop in RPGs right now. That's information nobody else has, except you.

Could you cite your source on this? I mean, I consider myself fairly well informed (not like I used to be, but even so) and have not heard a whiff of this.

Last edited:

Dias Ex Machina

Morrus, I'll respond to your privately since answering here may cause issues with the NDA restrictions. I know I probably crossed that line already.

Remove ads