• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

{Hypothetical Thought Exercise} A cosmic being annihilates your favorite version of D&D...

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Wow, a Mercurius post that fits on my screen? What a pleasant surprise! :)

As for the question, I honestly don't know. Maybe I'd take up 5e, maybe I'd go back to my heavily house-ruled 3.5, maybe I'd start house ruling PF to a similar degree. But 4e has spoiled me in a lot of ways, so having played it and then lost it, I'd be strongly inclined to write my own D&D clone with everything I want and nothing I don't.

EDIT: Forgot about 13A. Would definitely give that a try.

Last edited:

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Honestly I don't know that I have a favorite edition of D&D: every single edition I've played (1E, 2E, 3E, Pathfinder, 5E) I've found to be tragically flawed in one way or another. A lot like that song with a catchy chorus but crappy verses.

I suppose the ones that are easier to house rule into something I want are 1E, 2E, and 5E, so if one of these were arbitrarily taken away, I'd just switch to another.

Libramarian

Adventurer
I feel it would be kind of a copout to choose a slightly different retroclone so I'm going to choose 3.5 with some of the later classes replacing the traditional classes. And a copy of DM Genie.

Argyle King

Legend
I don't think I'd still be playing D&D if that happened. My answer would be that I'd use a different rules system (GURPS 4th) to run the D&D fluff, but that's against the rules of the OP. As such, I believe my answer would be that I most likely wouldn't play D&D anymore if that were to happen.

innerdude

Legend
If Fantasy Craft were to up and disappear, I'd switch to Radiance, True20, or Arcana Evolved.

Anything from TSR / WotC, or using "bog standard" Vancian casting would be an absolute no-go.

But considering it's been nearly three years since I've played anything on the d20 chassis, and that doesn't appear likely to change anytime in the next couple of years, it's probably a moot point anyway.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Practically no change here. Whenever I start a campaign I pick what I want to run at that point in time, considering the players wishes as well.

Today it would be Swords & Wizardry, tomorrow perhaps DDN.

I won't let no cosmic being spoil my fun!

delericho

Legend
It would probably be the kick I need to finally get my homebrew version done!

Assuming that didn't happen, though, it would depend just how localised the destruction. If it was just 3.5e that went, I'd probably switch to Pathfinder. Failing that, 3.0e.

Failing that I think I'd probably seek out B/X (or retroclone) - it's the only version post-OD&D that I've never played. Or perhaps I'd switch back to 2nd Ed. That's the version other than 3e that I've had the most fun with.

Remove ads