I am Legend (Alternative Ending)

Darkwolf71

First Post
Klaus said:
Why does a blockbuster need a happy ending? Gladiator, Braveheart (just to name a few) had bittersweet endings *at best*. Not to mention downright downer movies like Dawn of the Dead.
Or Cloverfield for that matter. Love it or hate it, there's no denying it has raked it a boatload of cash, and it had a very not-happy ending.

Klaus said:
Why does a blockbuster need a happy ending? Gladiator, Braveheart (just to name a few) had bittersweet endings *at best*. Not to mention downright downer movies like Dawn of the Dead.

See, bittersweet works. But if Braveheart had ended with Wallace being torn to bits and the Scots being conquered and oppressed for a hundred years, people would've complained. If the end of Gladiator had seen Russel Crowe get beaten down by Emperor Toilet, and all of his buddies fed to lions for their culpability, it would not have been popular.

Plus, Will Smith's all about 'Hope' and 'Fun.' People expect, if not a happy ending, a hopeful one.

Dawn of the Dead works because it's an outright horror film. I Am Legend was billed as something different - a character piece, or a survivor's tale. Not enough people go to horror movies, especially not around Christmas. You want the big bucks, you can't make it a pure tragedy.

Arnwyn

First Post
Darkwolf71 said:
Or Cloverfield for that matter. Love it or hate it, there's no denying it has raked it a boatload of cash, and it had a very not-happy ending.
I'm with RangerWickett, here. People do have certain expectations.

And besides, Cloverfield is a poor example since once people actually found out about the movie, it pretty much died on the vine.

apoptosis

First Post
Arnwyn said:

And besides, Cloverfield is a poor example since once people actually found out about the movie, it pretty much died on the vine.

Unfortunately i am not sure we are doing them any one any favors by rewarding their expectations.

Means we basically end up with very mediocre to crappy movies.

Harmon

First Post
The wife and I just saw the movie. Can't say I liked it, but it wasn't bad, Will Smith is one of the greatest actors of our time, hands down (top 10 at the very least).

Was trying to find the alternate ending on the disc, but its not there. I have been waiting for my slow DSL to watch what was posted, but my bed is calling. Thank you, and night all.

Darkwolf71

First Post
Arnwyn said:

A nearly three month run, $160million in revenue and a sequal in the works are not signs that a film 'died on the vine'.

Arnwyn

First Post
Darkwolf71 said:
A nearly three month run, $160million in revenue and a sequal in the works are not signs that a film 'died on the vine'.
*shrug* It fell in revenue so quickly that yeah, I'm comfortable saying that it "died on the vine". People (who had no information) saw it first, and then word of mouth killed it.

We'll see what happens regarding the rest.

Felon

First Post
RangerWickett said:
He looks back at the leader and meets his eyes, but doesn't have to say anything (because Will Smith's a damned fine actor)....
Harmon said:
Will Smith is one of the greatest actors of our time, hands down (top 10 at the very least)....
I'm going to have to learn to stop drinking liquids before I read threads concerning Will Smith. Coke through the nose leaves an unpleasant sensation in the old sinuses. :D

My preferred ending would consist of Will and the head vamp simultaneously leaping together at the glass partition, just as they do in the film, but in the wake of the grenade's explosion there's a few moments of silence and then...a base beat. As the smoke clears we see we're now in a lavish Will Smith rap video a la MIB and Wild Wild West, with the vamps dancing in the background as he lyricizes about how them bloodsuckers tried giving him grief but he whupped their behinds and taught them respect.

OK, it sounds ridiculous but Will Smith could pull it off with style and humor and humanity. :cool:

If there's anyone out there who doesn't think Will Smith is one of the greatest actors of our time or that Reaper and Chuck are good TV shows, I will be in the ENWorld media lounge at noon EST when the sun is highest in the sky. I can provide food. I can provide shelter. I can provide safety....Please, someone....Tell me I'm not all alone....So alone... :heh: :heh: :heh:

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
RangerWickett said:
See, bittersweet works. But if Braveheart had ended with Wallace being torn to bits and the Scots being conquered and oppressed for a hundred years, people would've complained. If the end of Gladiator had seen Russel Crowe get beaten down by Emperor Toilet, and all of his buddies fed to lions for their culpability, it would not have been popular.

Plus, Will Smith's all about 'Hope' and 'Fun.' People expect, if not a happy ending, a hopeful one.

Dawn of the Dead works because it's an outright horror film. I Am Legend was billed as something different - a character piece, or a survivor's tale. Not enough people go to horror movies, especially not around Christmas. You want the big bucks, you can't make it a pure tragedy.
I do agree with this entire post wholeheartedly. A big-budget Hollywood film has certain forumulaic elements, and one of them is that hope, faith, and love are for more important than reason. Indeed, the utter importance of maintaining hope and faith in direct conflict with what logic and plain old common sense tells you is the message most of those films convey.

Felon said:
If there's anyone out there who doesn't think Will Smith is one of the greatest actors of our time or that Reaper and Chuck are good TV shows, I will be in the ENWorld media lounge at noon EST when the sun is highest in the sky. I can provide food. I can provide shelter. I can provide safety....Please, someone....Tell me I'm not all alone....So alone... :heh: :heh: :heh:
That sounded like a challenge to a duel to me, at first. Are you sure you're not trying to lure someone in a trap?
Not that I'd feel tempted to follow you, anyway...

Will Smith is a very good actor, much to my surprise. But I guess actors starting as Comedians are usually underrated...

Remove ads