I Don't Feel Inspired to Consume Media Anymore

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
While I personally definitely have a measure of this going on from the pandemic (and an aimless depression predating the pandemic), I think I've also just struggled for years with the era of every scripted television series wanting to be a grand serialized narrative. I like it, in theory, but I usually end up never actually watching things, and certainly am way less likely to ever rewatch things than I was back when my favorite shows came in self-contained episodes that welcomed me to watch them in any old order.
I have never had this problem of not dealing well with grand narratives but I am on the younger side so it is most of what I know and pure stand-alone tv just bores me now I need it to go towards something.

I just watch it erratically it helps if you watch it in a different room to where you spend most of your time.

While actually producing said content, while working around the various and changing restrictions, makes it even more difficult. I was supposed to be doing on-set photography for an indie film being produced out of Seattle, this time last year, when it was cancelled due to lockdown.
I have a lot of friends in the film industry, working with three right now, and all of them have been slowed down to one extent or the other. Still, with America poised to come back online it's going to be a weird shift after all this time. I believe part of the problem is perhaps related to uncertainty, anxiety, and always having something to do as opposed to wondering and waiting. Like the Sundance Kid said, "I'm better when I move."

Ryujin

Legend
I have a lot of friends in the film industry, working with three right now, and all of them have been slowed down to one extent or the other. Still, with America poised to come back online it's going to be a weird shift after all this time. I believe part of the problem is perhaps related to uncertainty, anxiety, and always having something to do as opposed to wondering and waiting. Like the Sundance Kid said, "I'm better when I move."

For me, that was going to be my first time doing on-set photography and only my second time on a set, for any length of time at all. I was also likely going to be conscripted as a background extra, but i originally got into photography to make sure that I was behind the camera, not in front of it ;)

For me, that was going to be my first time doing on-set photography and only my second time on a set, for any length of time at all. I was also likely going to be conscripted as a background extra, but i originally got into photography to make sure that I was behind the camera, not in front of it ;)
Bad break. Hope more good work finds it way to you. Here's to the future and putting Covid behind us. It's been surreal to say the least.

Ryujin

Legend
Bad break. Hope more good work finds it way to you. Here's to the future and putting Covid behind us. It's been surreal to say the least.
It wasn't paid work, but rather a chance to learn from someone who's experienced at it. My usual side gig is motorsports photography (motorcycle racing and pit candid photography), so it was an opportunity to try something new. It was going to be combined with a 2 week vacation, in Washington State, to visit with friends, both involved in the shoot and not. Still hoping that things open up again here enough that I can shoot at the track this year, as I was unable to do so all of 2020. First time I've missed a full season since the late '90s.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I know some stuff to listen to whilst you do mindless stuff videos if he wants them as they cost nothing and buying 70's cd out of pure comfort means your starting to lose the ability to deal with new stuff, next thing you know you in a chair out funt with a gun complain about the grandkids.

Undrave

Legend
I've been feeling like this to a certain decree. I can concentrate on like 1 or 2 show at once, and then I'll just drop it, even if I enjoy it I just don't feel like doing the effort of watching? I got games I've not touched to various degrees... I don't feel like making effort to set up remote play for D&D...

I'm mostly watching random Youtube videos, scrolling here and on various other sites... I cancelled my Crunchyroll account because I hadn't watched anything since Villainess ended (and I'm finding that watching shows I know won't ever get a definitive conclusion is getting to be a chore). Hilda dropped a second season on Netflix and I haven't even touched it... I'm not engaging in fiction as much as I feel like I could. The youtube stuff I watch is documentary in nature, or critiques, or scary stories being read...

I did return to drawing so that's neat.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I feel like during the pandemic I haven't been able to focus on anything long-term. I haven't finished a novel, watched a substantial television series, and haven't even touched my video games (which I used to collect).
Nothing seems good enough. If I'm not caught in the first few minutes, or if it seems too long or too confusing, I don't want to do it. If I watch anything, it's hockey in the background or little YouTube videos. If I play anything, it's a few levels of a classic Mario game. Reading is delegated to social media posts or a few pages of a D&D book.
Wandavision, Bad Batch, Mortal Kombat, Justice League, Wonder Woman 84, etc. - I dropped out of all of them within 30 minutes or less.
Has anyone else had this issue? Any tips in getting your brain back into it?
(Oddly, I can stay engaged only if I'm actively creating something. So if I'm running D&D, painting, writing a book, etc., I'm fine.)
I've sort of leaned the opposite direction, doubling down on media consumption, but that's a pretty common anxiety symptom. I don't want to come off as snide, because I mean this in a genuine way, but maybe you should talk to someone with therapeutic credentials.

Remove ads