I Don't Feel Inspired to Consume Media Anymore

Couple things here:

*Age- Not only as you get older do your tastes change, but you have seen it before. Too many times. And way too much media is just a bad copy of itself. You see the plot where someone is the chosen one and/or does not know their powers and/or have a mystery about their past. Not to mention the annoying stuff , oh is that guy in the hat going to betray the main cast, wow...what a twist.

*Lack of community-This can be big. The Sorpranos, OZ, Breaking Bad, or The Walking Dead. There was a time when those shows were huge, and everyone in any community was talking about them. You could talk to people about the show and feel "part" of something. Today, not only is there "too much" to watch/read/consume....but people are much more fractured. Mention some media and you will too often just get blank looks.

And...well, a big one:

*Great Ceaser's Ghost is there SO much CRAP: And it's an unbelavable amount of crap. And bad does not even start to describe how bad most modern media is...., And this is on top of having to see the same things over and over and over again.

Retreater

Legend
I don't want to come off as snide, because I mean this in a genuine way, but maybe you should talk to someone with therapeutic credentials.
I understand that, and it's something I've discussed with my wife. I stopped going to therapy a couple years ago because there just wasn't any more progress to be made.
And now, I can only imagine that every therapist in the world can only say the same thing: "well, it sucks for everyone. sorry." And honestly, I still have my job and no one close to me has died, so if all I can complain about is that I can't watch a full movie or read a novel, I guess I am getting off lucky?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I understand that, and it's something I've discussed with my wife. I stopped going to therapy a couple years ago because there just wasn't any more progress to be made.
And now, I can only imagine that every therapist in the world can only say the same thing: "well, it sucks for everyone. sorry." And honestly, I still have my job and no one close to me has died, so if all I can complain about is that I can't watch a full movie or read a novel, I guess I am getting off lucky?
Trying a different therapist can make a big difference, and the change in the situation warrants different tools. Worth a shot.

R_J_K75

Legend
I have a lot of friends in the film industry, working with three right now, and all of them have been slowed down to one extent or the other. Still, with America poised to come back online it's going to be a weird shift after all this time. I believe part of the problem is perhaps related to uncertainty, anxiety, and always having something to do as opposed to wondering and waiting. Like the Sundance Kid said, "I'm better when I move."

Thats Clint right?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Good to know it’s not just me. 😀 it takes a massive amount of effort for me to get into any new TV show or book this past year. I did finish Wandavision and Falcon/Winter Soldier, but it’s because the themes and writing really hooked me for some reason. But stuff like The Boys, Mrs. Maisel, The Mandalorian, The Expanse? I couldn’t get through two episodes of each. I couldn’t bring myself to give a darn about the characters or story.

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
So, while I cannot say what's up with you, I have seen a bunch of reports that this kind of thing is not at all uncommon these days. The pandemic introduced everone to higher levels of long-term stress and/or anxiety. For many, it screws with attention spans and engagement. So, it is probably reasonable to say that millions of people have had similar issues this past year.

Well, that's pretty excellent, actually.

There is no virtue in consuming media, in and of itself - its only value is in how well it entertains you. If media doesn't grab you right now, it doesn't, and that's perfectly okay. There's not a whole lot of need to find a way to get back into it - that will come, or not, as it will. Until it does, maybe you should focus on those creative activities.
This is wisdom. Well said.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Couple things here:

*Age- Not only as you get older do your tastes change, but you have seen it before. Too many times. And way too much media is just a bad copy of itself. You see the plot where someone is the chosen one and/or does not know their powers and/or have a mystery about their past. Not to mention the annoying stuff , oh is that guy in the hat going to betray the main cast, wow...what a twist.

*Lack of community-This can be big. The Sorpranos, OZ, Breaking Bad, or The Walking Dead. There was a time when those shows were huge, and everyone in any community was talking about them. You could talk to people about the show and feel "part" of something. Today, not only is there "too much" to watch/read/consume....but people are much more fractured. Mention some media and you will too often just get blank looks.

And...well, a big one:

*Great Ceaser's Ghost is there SO much CRAP: And it's an unbelavable amount of crap. And bad does not even start to describe how bad most modern media is...., And this is on top of having to see the same things over and over and over again.
modern media is not more crap than past media, media was always mostly crap but any past media which survived had something going for it thus it lived, the new stuff is still in the part of being cleaved in to with existing and better forgotten.

I do not get the community bit as people in my experience never talked to me about the media a watch after age ten aside from to insult it.

Zardnaar

Legend
Even without being overly stressed out about Covid there's a distinct lack of quality atm. Disney stuff outside The Mandalorian is that great.

Say from 1999- through to 2015 or so we got so many great showed with The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Early GoT, various Sci Fibshows hitting their stride.

Just finished The Sopranos recently. Never watch all of it before.

Short seasons of 8 episodes don't quite do it.

He'll at AMC at one point was a hyword for quality.

Remove ads