D&D 5E I don't like Dragonborn: Please stay away from D&D Next.

Do you like Dragonborn?

• Yes

Votes: 106 60.9%
  • No

Votes: 68 39.1%

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
I'm sure I'm not going to get what I want and I know I can just ignore them in my games if they are in the game but I don't even want the book to waste space on them.

Now I loved the Draconians from Dragonlance but I didn't like them as a playable race. 4th editions Dragonborn, to me, were just out of place and a bit goofy. I mean you had elves, dwarves, humans, gnomes, then Dragonborn. I didn't really like their version of the Tiefling but it was more tolerable than the Dragonborn. The half-orc was the most monstrous I wanted to see a playable race in D&D.

I just wish they would leave that race alone.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
You know, I really hate Dragonborn. BUT.... I believe that options are "a good thing" as Martha Stewart would say. AND.... Dragonbron need to be a part of the game - just not a part of mine.

I'm on board with that. If WotC includes the dragonborn and tieflings in the Next Players Handbook, I won't really mind... as long as traditional races are not cut. And, yes, that includes the too-often maligned gnome. I'm not opposed to adding to traditions and allowing them to evolve that way, what I'm opposed to is replacing them.

hafrogman

Adventurer
I think you need to take a slightly more relaxed view of the world. I believe it was the Rolling Stones who told me that I can't always get what I want. If you're a player and you don't like Dragonborn, don't play one. If you're the DM and you don't like Dragonborn, don't have them in your world.

But once you get down to the "waste of space", "waste of ink", "waste of development time" series of arguments, you've really gone too far. The argument stops being about your own game, and starts being about you wanting to influence someone else's game. Just take a deep breath and realize that the presence of Dragonborn in a D&D game doesn't actually hurt you in any way.

Wulfgar76

First Post
Dragonborn in the PHB should be the least of your concerns.

Rather than make a laundry of things I don't want to see appear in the next iteration of the game, I personally am hoping for a simple, robust, modular system that feels like D&D - that allows me to easily shelve options, modules and fluff I don't want in my campaign.

If dumb core races were the worst thing about D&D Next, it would be a glorious thing indeed.

Also, players wanting to play a "draconic" PC were a phenomenon long before 4e came out. Dragonborn remain a very popular race choice for 4e players, and I can think of way worse optional races from my 2e and 3e days.

am181d

Adventurer
Anybody who's opinion is "I don't want other people to have the options that I don't want" is both (a) being selfish and (b) doomed to disappointment. Particularly if we're talking about options that a third or more of the customer base support.

If you don't want a Lawful Evil Dragonborn Paladin, don't play one. If you're a DM, you can even exclude them from your campaign! But stop trying to dictate what happens in other people's games.

Mallus

Legend
I mean you had elves, dwarves, humans, gnomes, then Dragonborn.
For my money, the race that doesn't belong is: gnome.

I mean honestly -- adventuring as a heroicly tacky lawn ornament?

But... whatever... to each their own. There's room enough for both stupid gnomes and magnificent Dragonborn. In the end, I'm absolutely positive the new edition will contain some material I don't like. After all, it's not being custom written for me -- and how poorly it would sell to the general public if it were!

Ratinyourwalls

First Post
Some of my best times in D&D have involved Dragonborn and I've played for a good 10 -15 years. They are insanely popular around here. If they aren't in core I'm not even going to bother with this edition.

Andor

First Post
I'm sure I'm not going to get what I want and I know I can just ignore them in my games if they are in the game but I don't even want the book to waste space on them.

I just wish they would leave that race alone.

*shrug* So refluff them as Lizardmen, or T'skrang or Megakobolds. Or scrap them from your game.

Superfluous PC races are not even on the top 10 in my list of 5e worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases