I feel dirty for posting this, but...(monster critique)

TracerBullet42

First Post
For reasons that aren't necessarily important, I've decided to stat up a d20 Pikachu and would like some critiques. What do you think?

PIKACHU CR 9
CE Tiny Demon Rat Outsider (Extraplanar)
Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft., Listen +8, Spot+8
Languages PIKA-PIKA!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
AC 24 (+2 size, +8 Dex, +4 natural), touch 20, flat-footed 16
HP 65 (10d8+20)
Demon Traits Immune to electricity and poison; Resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10.
Fort +9, Ref +15, Will +9
Spd 60 ft. (12 squares)
Space 2 1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Melee 2 claws +18/+13 (1d3-2+4d6 electricity)
Ranged Lightning Blast +18/+13 (4d6 electricity)
Base Atk +10; Grapple +0
Spell-Like Abilities Lightning Strike, Aura of Cute, Babbling Confusion
Abilities Str 7, Dex 26, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 16
Feats Weapon Finesse, Deflect Arrows, Ability Focus: Lightning Strike, Improved Natural Armor
Skills Bluff +8, Escape Artist +14, Hide +16, Jump +12, Listen +8, Move Silently +6, Spot +8, Tumble +12
Summon Lightning (Su) At will, a Pikachu may call lightning down from the sky, striking a 15’ radius, centered on itself, for 10d6 electricity damage (Reflex save DC 18 for half)
Aura of Cute (Su) All creatures coming within 60’ of a Pikachu become dazzled (Fortitude save DC 26 negates) by the incredible cuteness of the Pikachu. Just can’t pull your eyes away, dangit!
Babbling Confusion (Su)The constant “Pika, Pika!” chants from a Pikachu might mean something to other Pikachus, but to anyone who can’t understand their unique language, it drives them batty. Anyone who hears their incoherent babbling becomes confused (Will save DC 20 negates.)

Pbartender

First Post
TracerBullet42 said:
Aura of Cute (Su) All creatures coming within 60’ of a Pikachu become dazzled (Fortitude save DC 26 negates) by the incredible cuteness of the Pikachu. Just can’t pull your eyes away, dangit!

I'd either switch this to a Will save, which makes more sense for the effect, or change the effect to sickened, which makes more sense for the saving throw type.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I don't like it as a demon, I'd rather it just be a native of the proper elemental plane. Then again, I hate demons, so I'm biased. if it is a demon, maybe give DR? You list them on the table as Sp, but the three abilities are clearly all Su (as text indicates). Is the Lightning Blast ranged touch, or just ranged? And...did you just give it all the T'naari (spelling? ^_^) without actually making it one? If it has no reason for fire, cold, or acid res, don't give it. Unless electric types are strong against those kind of pokemon or something. Maybe give it a quick attack?

Seems good so far, overall. Not sure if it's as powerful as a Vrock (also a CR 9 demon). Although that's mostly cause of the Vrock's broken unavoidable spore attack I make sure to nerf all to hell any time I DM.

Arkhandus

First Post
Funny! :D

He gave it those resistances because they're standard Demon resistances, I think. I think Electric-types are supposed to be weak against Fighting-type pokemon, so maybe that's why it has no DR? Don't remember, been a loooooong time since I played Pokemon Blue on my GameBoy.

Should have Dodge, Mobility, and Spring Attack feats instead of Deflect Arrows, Improved Natural Armor, and Ability Focus. I'd just give it the Ability Focus as a racial bonus feat, anyhow. Also, you call the ability something different in each spot; Summon Lightning or Lightning Strike?

Lightning Blast should be defined in the text, probably as a ranged touch attack, and it needs a maximum range (or range increment and maximum range, as appropriate) listed. The little rat should probably have a headbutt attack as well (maybe just give it a Charge special attack, similar to a minotaur's or satyr's, that deals something like 1d6-2 bludgeoning damage and 4d6 electricity?).

The stuff is listed as Spell-Like, but the descriptions present them as Supernatural. Aura of Cute should be a Will save probably, and its DC should be 18 (though maybe it has a racial bonus to the save DC?). Also, you don't list how long the daze effect lasts, or how long the confusion effect lasts for Babbling Confusion (which should probably have an effective range listed, like 100 feet or 200 feet).

Someday I need an excuse to throw this at a group of PCs, without actually naming it, just to see how they respond and whether or not it kicks their butts. ^_^

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Ok, a friend of mine gave me this link: http://www.geocities.com/eco_mono/Pkmnd20/

I have to say, the pikachu and its pre/post-evolved cousins seems horrendously weak to me for the listed CR's. My friend said Agility was written back in 3.0, when Haste meant an extra standard action, but still... those things would die way too easy at those CR levels.

Remove ads