I flank myself! ...

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
My only problem with the opposed roll is that it adds two more rolls to combat and can get confusing.

I think that the rule of "I can ignore you, treating you as if you're invisible, until you hurt me" is simple, easy to remember and apply, balanced, and efficient.

If I ignore the fighter to concentrate on the rogue, then I won't suffer sneak attack damage from the rogue. However, the fighter might very well decide to disarm me or grapple me or sunder my weapon: normally I'd get an AoO against him, but since I'm treating him as if he's invisible, I don't. And woe be it on me if that fighter turns out to be a cleric and decides to cast a spell or two while I'm ignoring him.

Note that if he grapples me, the rogue can then pound on me to his heart's content: grappled opponents lose their dex bonus.

It's a risky maneuver in all cases except ones where it rightly shouldn't be (golden retriever vs. great wyrm cases).

Daniel

chilibean

First Post
So with you're system, how long until it resets?

If I am hit once in the rear, I can't ignore that particular person again? So I could turn around and ignore the one I was fighting (assuming he didn't hit me yet)?

What if the one I'm wanting to ignore (but can't because he hit me) attacks someone else for a round (or 5 rounds, or 2 days), does it reset then? Or just when pluto aligns with venus and purple butterflies fly out of my &@#?

Ok, sorry, sarcasm doesn't help. :)

Actually, your suggestion is a good one ... well, maybe not good, but better than a lot on this thread :D

It's just that you can still end up with the problem, just not as often. Just cast magic fang, sure strike, and resist fear on a really mean minature dachshund. If it does even a single point of damage on it's first bite, then the dragon is suddenly flanked and the rogue in front of him unleashes more sneak attacks than you can shake a stick at with the dragon unable to ever ignore the dog again.

I would just much prefer to slow down the combat a tiny bit and allow for a more interesting and varried tactical situation. The extra 2 rolls probably won't come up very often anyway since it's a dangerous gamble with the roll unless the guy you want to ignore totally sucks.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
My system doesn't reset.

If someone hurts you, they become a real threat in your mind, and as long as you recognize them as the same individual, you can't ever ignore them again.

Of course, all orcs look alike to an elf, so if that orc survives a battle and runs off, an elf can probably ignore her in the next battle. Not so for Henry the Illithid Lich Lord who runs off, unless you tend to encounter illithid lich lords in your game.

As for the crazed weiner dog, that's fine by me, on the "OW, dammit!" principle. I, as a dragon, am certain in my knowledge that no weiner dog can get through my scales, so I ignore it. When it suddenly clamps its pointy little teeth onto my butt, I'll be so shocked that I'll definitely stop ignoring it. Anything that makes you say "OW, dammit!" makes you pay attention to it, and you're back to being flanked.

Daniel

chilibean

First Post
lol

Thats funny :)

The "OW, dammit!" principle ... I gotta remember that one.

I wonder what the people that advocate the uber penalties think of casting command on an enemy and commanding him to look the other way and ignore the whole party? Or possibly charm person ... "hey, I'm you're friend ... just ignore me for a couple seconds and look that way ..."

Cyraneth

First Post
Even though I haven't considered the possibility of "ignoring" an opponent before, I see the benefits of it now, but also the disadvantages... At least, these were the first things to pop into my mind while reading this:

If you're ignoring an opponent, you're taking an "unnecessary" risk, which in turn would give the opponent you ignore an attack of opportunity (like when you run past an opponent).
Also, the opponent is, as many of you suggest, invisible, which also grants a few nice bonuses. This also means that the character ignoring the opponent doesn't get any attacks of opportunity against the ignored opponent.
Finally, if taken to the extreme, the opponent would be able to make a coup de grace (or maybe something less, like the automatic criticals or threats suggested above) against the ignoring character, as the ignored opponent can basically pick any spot to hit and even risk a bit as he doesn't risk attacks of opportunity.

Well, these are merely suggestions, and sure, the coup de grace might be a little over the edge, but it would sure make the character consider twice before ignoring someone in combat. :D

- Cyraneth

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Cyraneth said:
If you're ignoring an opponent, you're taking an "unnecessary" risk, which in turn would give the opponent you ignore an attack of opportunity (like when you run past an opponent).
A house rule for ignoring could do this, but I chose not to for my system.

Cyraneth said:
Also, the opponent is, as many of you suggest, invisible, which also grants a few nice bonuses. This also means that the character ignoring the opponent doesn't get any attacks of opportunity against the ignored opponent.
Correct.

Cyraneth said:
Finally, if taken to the extreme, the opponent would be able to make a coup de grace (or maybe something less, like the automatic criticals or threats suggested above) against the ignoring character, as the ignored opponent can basically pick any spot to hit and even risk a bit as he doesn't risk attacks of opportunity.
Certainly not! A coup de grace requires the opponent to be helpless. Ignoring someone doesn't make you helpless - though I did suggest auto-threat.

Remove ads