• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I found the iconic Ardent!

RyvenCedrylle

First Post
Many of the 4th Ed. classes have literary or cinematic iconics to which we compare the class. Conan (Barbarian), Merlin (Wizard), Gandalf (Invoker, although I've also heard valid arguments for both Wizard and Swordmage) immediately spring to mind. I've been having a terrible time trying to find iconics for certain classes - Seeker, Battlemind, and Ardent among them. Today, though, the iconic Mantle of Clarity Ardent was revealed to me in a glorious flash of inspiration....!

Peter Gibbons from Office Space.

You laugh (and so do I) but I think it works. There's the moment of vision in which the meaning of life is revealed to him (sort of). He spends most of the movie trying to remove "conditions" from the rest of the cast - Samir and Michael: Broke (job or money laundering ends), Joanna: miserable (quitting ends) to name a couple. He even gets a promotion to a Leader role at Initech!

I really want to play one of these using a very calm, laid-back tone; I can just hear him now...

On Adventuring: "This isn't so bad, eh? Slaying monsters, helping people, earning gold... F****in A."
Also On Adventuring: "I'd say in a given day of adventuring, I do maybe 15 minutes of real, actual work."
Parley Before Combat: "Good luck with your last few minutes, all right? I hope your death goes really well."
On Monks: "I like monks. Do you like monks? We should go somewhere they have monks."
On Looting: "...Well those are whole gold pieces, right? We're talking about coppers - fractions of a gold piece. Only there's a really big chest and we do it a couple thousand times."

So...?

Turtlejay

First Post
An interesting take, since my 'vision' or Ardents is them projecting their mood on those around them. . .I think it fits. He projects is calm, carefree mood onto most of those with whom he interacts. It is kid of bizarre, since he is about as not-ardent as one could be.

Jay

Remove ads