D&D General I hate this figure......arghhh!

Mad_Jack

Legend
My first real character back in the Basic days was an elf named Silverrain who cast his magic missile at an ogre standing ten feet away and promptly got his skull crushed in one punch... Ah, the good old days.

My troll story is a good one though - in 2nd Ed., my thief one-shotted a troll by jumping off a ledge I was hiding on and brain-stabbing the thing with a magical flametongue bastard sword borrowed from the fighter. I rolled a crit, I was high enough level my backstab was doing x5 damage, and the DM threw on some damage from me landing on him from 20 feet up... :cool:

On the miniature side, I still have those first two old Grenadier figures the older kid down the street sold me when I was 15...
My painting has improved slightly since then.

03A15A2E-9D3D-4641-8496-5D57781F8892.jpeg

Looks like a halfling holding a baguette.

niklinna

satisfied?
Story 1: My first ever AD&D game, I was given two characters to play, a Fighter and a Magic-User (that should have been red flag number one). The party came to a door, my Magic-User prepared to cast Magic Missile, and they opened the door. Thunk! Thunk! Thunk! Three arrows into the poor mage's chest and down he goes. Not long after, just around the corner, the party is attacked by vorpal rabbits. Yes a Monty Python referrence. Yes, plural, as if that were necessary. They had a potion of gaseous form so they poured it down the gullet of my dead mage (who they had dragged along for just such an eventuality, it would seem), and tossed his corpse to the hungry bunnies, some of which promptly went poof! But not all of them; so they killed my fighter and repeated the procedure.

I kept playing with this group, because they were they only RPG group in the county (yes, county).

Story 2: I played a halfling-type in a LARP whose in-game weapon was in fact a stale baguette he used to knock people unconscious with (plus alchemy that I RPed as his mother's legendarily bad cooking). I also always had handpies on me. One time I tried to bribe my way out of a kidnaping with pie but the scoundrels only wanted gold...until later when I took one out and began munching. "Wait, you actually had pie?!" they said. "We would've let you go!"

Lyxen

Great Old One
Sadly, I don’t actually have them anymore. These are photos from Lost Minis Wiki.
I had a load of minis but let them go amidst marriage, kids, career and sports causing gaming to take a back seat. I re-connected with D&D in around 1998 and have built up a collection of more modern Reaper minis since, so the Lost Minis site is something of a nostalgia wallow.

Yes, I've built again a small collection of plastic minis that we used in our games and that I now use to introduce my grandson to the game, but I'd very much like to find my metal minis from so long ago. I'm sure they are in a box somewhere, but in which pile...

Of course, tobacco-scented small troll was never mine anyway (I’d have melted the b*****d down!)

R_J_K75

Legend
Is it just me or does the mini troll in the OP look like its carrying a roll of Bounty paper towels that got beer spilled on it? I'm starting to hate that mini too.

I woke up yesterday morning at 4AM and had to prep to DM a session last night. I had nothing, DMs block. I started to look through a bunch of my old miniatures, most un-primed, un-assembled and in pieces, some primed but never painted, and then there were a few dozen nicely painted. Lastly, some I bought just for this session with no intention of painting. I used a bunch of the ones I had painted years ago as inspiration for encounters in the adventure; and I'll say it went well. Ironically, by the time everyone showed up we were all around the table set up I forgot to put the battle mat down so we played theater of the minds eye. Life's great!!

Lyxen

Great Old One
That's a great point as well, nice minis are really inspiring, one of my friends / co-players / co-DM has a huge collection and I know that when out of inspiration he just looks through his shelves. :)

Richards

Legend
I have a player who still hates the "Doomguard" D&D miniature as it's one of the first foes her first PC ever fought. And it wasn't even like the Doomguard almost killed her PC or anything - she took her down without much of an issue and the game proceeded on. But to this day she hates that Doomguard mini, and we've used it several times to represent entirely different NPCs, not always enemies. It doesn't matter; if the Doomguard mini shows up on the table Vicki's already glaring at it with narrow eyes.

1629296687057.png

Johnathan

Remove ads