D&D General I have a D&D Dream.

That one day every person who plays this game will control their own destiny. A game of the truly free! A game of declaring action, not spewing words; ruled by judgement, not committee!

Where the rules change to suit the individual, not the other way around. Where power and rules are back where they belong: in the hands of the people! Where every player is free to think - to play - for themselves!

Screw all these rule lawyers and cowardly survey makers. Screw this 24-hour Internet spew of trivia and influencer junk! Screw TTRPG pride! Screw the media (with the exception of Enworld)! Screw ALL OF IT!

Dungeons and Dragons is diseased. Rotten to the core. There's no saving it - we need to pull it out by the roots. Wipe the slate clean. BURN IT DOWN!

And from the ashes, a new Dungeons and Dragons will be born. Evolved, but untamed! The weak tables will be purged and the strongest will thrive - free to play as they see fit. In my new D&D, PCs will die and kill for what they BELIEVE! Not for gold. not for exp! Not for what they're told is right. Every PC will be free to fight their own wars!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
V, M to S, M is actually a buff since the M is a weapon, and you can use the same hand for both M and S.

You don't have to say the V anymore, which helps in stealth situations or zones of silence.

Changing the range did hurt niche spell sniper reach weapon builds, though.
I think this made it into the wrong thread?? ;)

Oofta

Legend
Meh. Sounds like Calvinball the RPG. Having limits is part of the fun.

That, and if the game is that flexible, how are members of EDI (Evil DM Inc) going to ruin the fun of it's players? According to some on the forum EDI members exist only to twirl their waxed mustaches while laughing maniacally as they crush the souls of their players by making the final call on all sorts of things like what races are allowed or making the final calls on rulings. Why won't anyone think of the mustache wax companies!

Last edited:

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
I try to make sure that the shared reality (or dream or whatever you want to call it) is primary and everything else is there to support that. "Everything else" includes the rules, dice, the DM, the Player, game props, rules lawyers, YouTube vids, etc. Any of these secondary things can become a crutch and obstacle to that primary focus on the "shared dream world."

pemerton

Legend
A game of declaring action, not spewing words; ruled by judgement, not committee!

Where the rules change to suit the individual, not the other way around. Where power and rules are back where they belong: in the hands of the people! Where every player is free to think - to play - for themselves!

<snip>

In my new D&D, PCs will die and kill for what they BELIEVE! Not for gold. not for exp! Not for what they're told is right. Every PC will be free to fight their own wars!
Maybe you should try Burning Wheel!

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
I'll see your D&D dream and raise you a D&D meme.

1650200356713.png

jgsugden

Legend
Consider that the problem might not be that D&D is broken, but might be that you're playing the wrong game. There are other RPGs that are not as rule dependent, such as Dread, that might give you the experience you are seeking. D&D is not intended to be the experience you seek - but that does not mean it is a bad experience, or that you can't find it elsewhere.

Remove ads