I Have Created the Most Detailed Game World!

arbados

Explorer
I also write up at least a 10+ page word document for each player when it comes to "time off". You may ask what time off is. Well right before Convention (where we play a 10+ hour game undergoing some of the thing listed above - competitions, video shows, gambling, drinking games, etc.) we also play a game right before Convention where each player gets an opportunity to do things they may have not been able to while adventuring with their comrades. This is called "Time Off" and before I write what happens each player must send me an outline (usually email) of what they would like to do during their time away from the other group members. At times some choose to accompany each other during their time off and then their stories are told together. So what do we do? Well, after each player has emailed me what they would like to do while away from their comrades I start to think up what is the coolest and best way to play out their requests.
I actually write a story for each individual with choices all playing out. The idea comes from the old D&D books where you would read the pages and make choices as you moved along. As a kid I read these all the time and found them fascinating. I wanted to add the same concept for my player’s during time off where they could make choices and hopefully attain all their needs they wanted.
So how does it happens? Well, each player reads the written script that I have done and then as they read on they must make choices though-out the story. Keep in mind the story is based all around what they have emailed me as to what their specific character would like to do during this time away from the group!
The rest of the players are usually all into the read and what choices the player should make! Some are much more dangerous than others but all know that at times risk can be a reward. Remember each has emailed me their specific desires and sometimes they are quite daring, while at others they are quite simple and mundane!
There are also battles that can happen during the time off and when not along with another have the potential to be fatal! Individual battle is actually played out on a battle grid with their being a chance that things could be fatal to the players! All my players know this! When done, they have usually gained all the rewards as to what they may have tried to attain and also head to Convention and the great celebration lasting a 10+ hour night of gaming. To be fair there is as slight chance of ultimate failure during Time Off and character death. It has never happened in y 25+ years of DM’ing, but I have never let my player know this! Like to add to their nervousness! :.-(

Remove ads