• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I have DMGII and Revenge of the Giants

malraux

First Post
Okay, can someone explain what a Dabus is and what Mouse is going on about?

The Dabus are the entourage of the Lady of Pain. They go throughout the city and do as the Lady wants. They can be found repairing the city or fighting back the razorvine. Interestingly, they always float. They always speak via rebuses rather than speech.

Rechan

Adventurer
The Dabus are the entourage of the Lady of Pain. They go throughout the city and do as the Lady wants. They can be found repairing the city or fighting back the razorvine. Interestingly, they always float. They always speak via rebuses rather than speech.
*looks up Rebus*

Yeah, I can see why Mouse has issue. I can see that in a Pratchet book, or as a funny character in a comedy comic, but not in any sort of game I can take at all serious.

Rechan

Adventurer
I always thought the Dabus were a cool idea that would work just fine if they spoke in pictures instead of rebuses.
Maybe a mental image projected into your head. Or an illusion to get an idea across.

Funnily, this reminds me of aliens from Mass Effect. Their major communication is via body language and pheromones. Since most other species can't understand that, the race's speech consists of "[Word for emotion] [Monotone voice]" Such as "Discomfort. Do you think we will be here long?"

Jack99

Adventurer
Suspence regarding the Dabus is killing me too.. Unfortunately, I am still at work and have no access to the books

avin

First Post
Did they get rid of that ridiculous idea of the dabus communicating only in visual rebuses?

Bring the torches! :devil::rant::devil::rant::devil::rant:

The rebus, I think, were created to pass the idea of distance between Lady of Pain and Sigil people.

Lady of Pain never talks.
Dabus act in her name.
Dabus use symbols to communicate, amplifying the distance effect of communication.

You can always rule that Dabus use telepatic communication, not with phrases, but sending ideas/images that form phrases on your mind.

Now buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!111 :p

Last edited:

avin

First Post
*looks up Rebus*

Yeah, I can see why Mouse has issue. I can see that in a Pratchet book, or as a funny character in a comedy comic, but not in any sort of game I can take at all serious.

Haven't played Planescape: Torment, right? :p

Remove ads