D&D 3E/3.5 I love 3E. I love 4E. I'm mad!

Firevalkyrie

First Post
Wisdom Penalty said:
Anyone else out there both: (a) really, really like 3E, and (b) really, really look forward to 4E?

Perhaps it is madness.

W.P.
Yo.

I was a little afraid of restarting my 3E campaign because I thought aspects of the yet to be released 4E would overshadow the gameplay. They haven't; if anything they've gotten me to think about D&D 3E in different - and frankly, better - ways. My current 3E game is a blast.

I'll be a little sad to leave 3E behind, but I'm already planning to convert and update any aspects that I find not to have direct 4E analogs.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Wisdom Penalty said:
...I took a long look at myself and I realized - "3E's a great damned game." That's not saying we don't need or want a 4E, it's just saying that 3E brought me - and a whole lot of old guys like myself - back into D&D after we were out for some time.

Anyone else out there both: (a) really, really like 3E, and (b) really, really look forward to 4E?

Congratulatons! MerricB has been needing some new lieutenants in the vanguard of his army for quite a while now-- carrying the flag proudly for multiple editions of D&D at the same time has one hell of a casualty rate. :)

ruleslawyer

I'd like to think that most folks on these boards probably like 3e *and* are excited about 4e. There are plenty of things that I'm not happy about with any edition of D&D, but the fact is that the game I play now (Iron Heroes) wouldn't have been possible without 3e rules. In fact, it's just a tweaked variant of the game we all know and love. I see 4e the same way: It's a set of innovations on our familiar game, hopefully with an eye to taking the best parts of 3e and fixing the stuff that wasn't so hot. The idea that a new edition somehow constitutes a repudiation or belittlement of the old is incredibly odd to me.

Betote

First Post
That's why I hope they become two very different systems. For what I've read, I think I'll stick to 3.5 for my Greyhawk games, and maybe I'll use 4E for a Scarred Lands campaign. The setting seems perfect for a "points-of-light" fluff and for some of the (little) crunch I've read.

GAAAHHH

First Post
Henry said:
Congratulatons! MerricB has been needing some new lieutenants in the vanguard of his army for quite a while now-- carrying the flag proudly for multiple editions of D&D at the same time has one hell of a casualty rate. :)

I like BECMI D&D, 1E (and Castles and Crusades), 2E, and 3E/3.5. 4E looks promising, especially with Necromancer and Goodman supporting it.

And that's just D&D. I also enjoy World of Darkness, GURPS, Palladium (TMNT especially), Warhammer, RuneQuest, Call of Cthulhu, Shadowrun, Deadlands/HOE, Star Frontiers, and a few others I can't think of right now.

Remove ads