I made an NPC generator

SpuneDagr

Explorer
I have built an online tool designed for DMs to create non-player characters on the fly. Play around with it a bit and let me know what you think!

NPC Generator

I've been working on this for months, and there are a number of features I'm particularly proud of:
  • Lots of races
  • TONS of occupations
  • Descriptions that respect ability scores - so if he or she has a high Strength, it will say so.
  • Diety portfolios and personal values influenced by race, occupation, and alignment
  • Buttons to export to a PDF or TXT file

Please let me know your comments and suggestions. I would love this to be a useful tool for whoever wants it!

Might need to make some of the strings excluded to one another, i just tried it and got:
"He has a presence about him that can be quite scary. He cares deeply for his loved ones and is devoted to the gods. He believes people should just try to get along. He pays lipservice to the god of the home."

I've done it a few times and this seems to happen a lot, where the first line notes one way they relate to the gods, and the final line says another way. I just got "Irreverent to the gods" mixed with "Worships the god of Truth." Seems like these would be mutually exclusive.

A lot of the randomness sort of feels like its a funny mad-lib. I just got a housewife that worships the god of strife, which seems odd. Next was an Orc Tailor who wore fine cloths but didn't believe in cleaning them.

Otherwise, seems to work well. Lots of good little details and its easy to picture the characters.

SpuneDagr

Explorer
Thank you! Looks like I have a few fields that should communicate with one another but do not.

In case you're interested, here's what's happening: Some of the descriptions for high and low Wisdom talk about their faith/devotion. At the time I wrote those, it made sense. I'll have to change 'em. The final line about what god they worship just randomly picks between "serves," "worships," and "pays lipservice to." I'll have to fix that too.

Remove ads