• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 I miss 3E/4e style feats

Elodan

Adventurer
Granted there was plenty of bloat and they were difficult to balance, but I loved the options the gave my characters.

I think they shined the most with fighters. I was hoping fighter maneuvers would work similar to feats. It seems that feats work best when the grant your character a new option, improve one of your abilities or specialize.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I've slowly grown to loath feats as they were in third and fourth edition. They became as numerous as spells, but without the individual impact.

Moreover, they always felt to me like a bunch of patches for things that were omitted from the base system. Now I know that they are a form of exceptions based design, and I'm a little more understanding. But I still don't like them much.

D&D Next has finally given them impact and meaning. They're micro-classes that you layer onto your character over time. They actually excite me to read, something few feats have ever done.

Iosue

Legend
Yeah, I'm not going to miss 3e/4e feats. They were reasonably reasonable at 1st level chargen, but as characters leveled up they just became this byzantine web of minor effects, many of which I wouldn't even remember to apply in the game.

Starfox

Hero
I loved the idea of feats in 3E/4E, but the implementation... Well, this is a common gripe with me.

I think feats have too many prerequisites. This forces you to plan your character several levels ahead, which is never good IMO.

There are too many feats that just lets you improve your attack very slightly, like Weapon Focus. Feats should rather be about creating new options, rather than adding that final straw on top of what you already have. Then again, I realize that there need to be options for those who doesn't want options, those who'd rather stay in the core of their class. Next has a good angle on this in having the (default?) pick be a stat improvement.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Same here. I like the concept of feats, but in-game... they started to grate. I'm fond of the 13th Age feats - instead of a big list (though there is one), they're attached to class features (talents) and spells and manoeuvres and improve them.

So, having some decision points where you can "upgrade" your favourite ability would be cool, but that's about it.

Remove ads