I miss seeing xp-comments

Blackbrrd

First Post
In the previous version of the forum you could see the xp a post was given and the comments that came with the xp. To me this was a great feature, since it was easy to see if a post was popular - and probably a good read or not. Any chance of getting this feature back?

mudbunny

Community Supporter
While I liked the comments, far too often for my tastes it was used as a way to jab at people or make snarky comments with less of a likelihood that a moderator would take notice.

Empirate

First Post
While I liked the comments, far too often for my tastes it was used as a way to jab at people or make snarky comments with less of a likelihood that a moderator would take notice.

I actually only noticed this a couple times. Maybe it depends on the subforum you frequent, but I never saw it as a problem.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't feel that was a major problem. I do feel that XP comments substituted for conversation at times, though.

Empirate

First Post
Maybe put an option in the Settings menu somewhere, so each user can decide on their own whether they want their conversation pure and undiluted, or with XP comments visible?

- btw, not criticizing. The job you guys did with bringing this place back to its feet after the hack still amazes me! -

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Maybe put an option in the Settings menu somewhere, so each user can decide on their own whether they want their conversation pure and undiluted, or with XP comments visible?
I'd like that.

Or, if you feel it substitutes for conversation change it so that when you give xp the comment must be made as a new post? I don't know if that's even remotely feasible though.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Or, if you feel it substitutes for conversation change it so that when you give xp the comment must be made as a new post? I don't know if that's even remotely feasible though.

At that point, I'd prefer taking the "comment" part of it out altogether. If you want to post, just post.

I wasn't watching to see if XP comments substituted for conversation. All I know is that it didn't jump to my eye as doing such, but that doesn't mean it wasn't happening.

I did see the occasional jab or snide remark. I think folks thought that since you couldn't report on the comments themselves individually, we wouldn't notice. When I saw them, or they got reported, I did my best to go and edit them. I did have to give out the occasional tempban based on XP comments, even.

The problematic use I myself noted most often was using them to comment on moderation in-thread. While I like feedback on moderation, and even appreciate the XP-aspect of it, it isn't appropriate for commentary on moderation to be visible in-thread, either as a post or XP-comment. And I admit I eventually gave up editing those out, because while editing the comments was possible, but a pain in the rear-end.

If they aren't visible in-thread, I don't have to worry about that last case.

Last edited:

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
The problematic use I myself noted most often was using them to comment on moderation in-thread. While I like feedback on moderation, it isn't appropriate for it to be visible in-thread, either as a post or XP-comment. And I admit I eventually gave up editing those out, because while editing the comments was possible, but a pain in the rear-end.
Yeah, I can see how that would be a pretty big negative. Didn't occur to me at all.

Remove ads