• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I need a human thesaurus.

Oryan77

Adventurer
This is going to be an odd request, but I need help with a naming convention.

I am working on a random generator that will display things like gems, metals, pearls, ivory, shells, & stones within the same category.

I would like to give this category a single name to identify it, but I cannot determine what a group of items like this could be referred to. I don't want to call it "Gems" since a "shell" is not a gem. My best ideas are either "minerals" (which isn't the best identifier) or "baubles" (which usually just refers to cheap trinkets).

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm even open to slang terms if it fits. I'm at a loss.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Some shell (or related materials) does get that classification, but not all shells used for semiprecious decorations do.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Precious Stones

Or, honestly, just Gems will do. If somebody's going to get all pedantic about it, leave them free to suffer in grammatical existential angst. Doesn't affect you any.

Mercule

Adventurer
Casually? Loot.

More formally, I'm going to go with: Liquid commodities (or liquid treasure).

(Definitions from dictionary.com)
Liquid (adj): in cash or readily convertible into cash without significant loss of principal.

Commodity (n): an article of trade or commerce, especially a product as distinguished from a service; any unprocessed or partially processed good, as grain, fruits, and vegetables, or precious metals.

All of what you're describing should be, at best, partially finished (fully finished would be jewelry). They're directly usable in trade. And, they can be converted to cash with minimal loss of value.

Remove ads