D&D 5E I need a list of Monsters that can Plane Shift

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
If you're the DM, any monster you want or create. Unless of course you run monsters only exactly as published. Which is totally cool if that's what works for you.

Out of curiosity, why do you need such a list?

Stalker0

Legend
Long story short, my group has created a device that can pull creatures from the multiverse that plane shift into a specific area. Think of it as a multiversal "net" if you will.

So I'm figuring out what kinds of monsters this will pull in.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Well, what kinds of monsters would be most interesting for your group to catch? I figure high level devils, demons, celestial, and dragons can reasonably find ways to plane shift. Additionally any creature smart enough to have class levels may posses the capacity to plane shift, as well any creature that might use a magical device to plane shift. Aboleths, mindflayers, djinn, salads, and neogi may all be reasonably able and have reason to plane shift. I imagine certain gith also possess the ability. Inevitables can also do so when motivated.

Sorry I don't have concrete specifics from the books. But are they using this net to try and catch something specific? Knowing what you're players are trying to accomplish might help lead to some interesting considerations.

EDIT: Oh! What if this net also interfers with summons? So a spellcaster tries to summon a creature from another plane, but it instead gets sucked up by the net? That could lead to some interesting options, as well as a pretty pissed off wizard and confused creature.

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
So, I went through all of the monster resources for you; unsurprisingly not a lot of monsters can plane shift, but there's actually quite a few who can.

Monsters that can plane shift at will!!!:
Marut​

Monsters that can plane shift 3/day:
Retriever​
Monsters that can plane shift 2/day:
Night hag​

Monsters that can plane shift 1/day:
Dao​
Death slaad​
Djinni​
Efreeti​
Empyrean​
All of the githyanki apart from the githyanki warrior​
Githzerai anarch​
Githzerai enlightened​
Grey slaad​
Illithilich​
Marid​
Mind flayer​
Mind flayer arcanist​
Rakshasa​
Ulitharid​
Monsters that can cast plane shift out of their 7th level spell slot:
Drow matron mother​
Ki-rin​
Lich​
Illithilich​
The nightmare can ethereal stride into the Ethereal plane.

To build off of @Ash Mantle's solid research, I would add that any spellcasting monster with a 7th level spell slot could be altered ever so slightly to have Plane Shift prepared/known instead of another 7th-9th level spell. These include:

Abjurer (VGtM)
Arcanaloth (MM)
Archdruid (VGtM)
Archmage (MM)
Biomancer (GGtR)

Blue Abishai (MtoF)
Devkarim Lich (GGtR)
Diviner (VGtM)
Nagpa (MtoF)
Skull Lord (MtoF)

I particularly like reimagining the spell lists of the NPC-types bolded above to keep things interesting.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Long story short, my group has created a device that can pull creatures from the multiverse that plane shift into a specific area. Think of it as a multiversal "net" if you will.
So I'm figuring out what kinds of monsters this will pull in.
Nevermind D&D, mine Myth Adventures for ideas.

Qizicxz

Villager
Great list @Ash Mantle!
Sorry for the noob question here - but what is the difference between ethereal stride and plane shift? For instance could one create a home-brew Deva that could say have Celestial Flight (as opposed to 'stride'), or would it have to be plane shift? Not sure I understand the nuances.

Remove ads