D&D 5E I need a list of Monsters that can Plane Shift

Long story short, my group has created a device that can pull creatures from the multiverse that plane shift into a specific area. Think of it as a multiversal "net" if you will.

So I'm figuring out what kinds of monsters this will pull in.

Every spellcaster capable of casting it for start

JoeyTr

Villager
Great list @Ash Mantle!
Sorry for the noob question here - but what is the difference between ethereal stride and plane shift? For instance could one create a home-brew Deva that could say have Celestial Flight (as opposed to 'stride'), or would it have to be plane shift? Not sure I understand the nuances.
Plane shift is a 7th level spell, which lets the caster transport themselves to any other plane of existence, as long as they have the right kind of material component (which needs to be attuned to the specific plane). The component isn't needed if the creature can cast it innately.

Ethereal Stride is a specific feature from the statblock of a nightmare, which makes this happen: "The nightmare and up to three willing creatures within 5 feet of it magically enter the Ethereal Plane from the Material Plane, or vice versa."

From a functional standpoint, the difference is this: the other can transport you onto any plane you specify while the other only enables travel between the Material and the Etheral Plane.

What one gives to a home-brewed Deva is entirely their call, but you should note that plane shift is noticeably more powerful than ethereal stride and probably raises the monster's CR.

If we're using the RAW versions of both plane shift and ethereal stride, I would argue plane shift is the better fit. This is because Devas are from the (Lawful Good) Upper Planes, and copypasting Ethereal Stride word-for-word would be of little use to them, since it doesn't offer any way for them to visit their home plane.

If you would take Ethereal Stride and change the mention of the Ethereal Plane with Mount Arborea (for example), you would end up with a Deva who might be slightly more powerful than the one in MM, but not by much. And it's still loads tamer than a deva who can transport themselves onto ANY plane of existence in the Multiverse.

More about the Ethereal Plane and plane-travel in general can be found from Dungeon Master's Guide, Chapter 2.

Dausuul

Legend
Just a note, demons and devils generally cannot plane shift, and this limitation--especially on demons--is fairly important in the default cosmology. A demonic incursion into the Material Plane is a world-threatening event. If demons could plane shift, they would overrun every Material Plane and suck them all into the Abyss.

Of course, if your cosmology works differently, this might not be an issue.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
So, I went through all of the monster resources for you; unsurprisingly not a lot of monsters can plane shift, but there's actually quite a few who can.

Monsters that can plane shift at will!!!:
Marut​

Monsters that can plane shift 3/day:
Retriever​
Monsters that can plane shift 2/day:
Night hag​

Monsters that can plane shift 1/day:
Dao​
Death slaad​
Djinni​
Efreeti​
Empyrean​
All of the githyanki apart from the githyanki warrior​
Githzerai anarch​
Githzerai enlightened​
Grey slaad​
Illithilich​
Marid​
Mind flayer​
Mind flayer arcanist​
Rakshasa​
Ulitharid​
Monsters that can cast plane shift out of their 7th level spell slot:
Drow matron mother​
Ki-rin​
Lich​
Illithilich​
The nightmare can ethereal stride into the Ethereal plane.
A little obvious but ghosts can also enter the ethereal plane.

Just happened to come across this and saw some suggestions of homebrewing a Deva to plane shift.
You guys know there's no need to homebrew, right?
They can just Change Shape into a gith (probably a Githzerai Enlightened,) and use the Innate Spellcasting (Psionic) ability they copy. (Since it's not a class feature, lair action, or legendary action...) It takes two actions but I can't imagine it's much hassle normally.

Last edited:

Remove ads