I need advice about a new campaign....

vagabundo

Adventurer
Warhammer RP or grab stuff from iron heroes?

Iron Heroes had an Arcanist class that looked interesting. The game gave me a Swords and Sorcery vibe, but it needs work.

No one knows the exact feel you are going for better than you. I would start with a base system that I felt very comfortable running and tweaking, then make the mods work.

Trying to heavily tweak a system that you don't know well rarely works.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'd probably use Warhammer 2e FRPG for this. It's my go-to system for "fun and gritty with creepy magic." Bad Axe's Grim Tales, based on d20 Modern, would also work well.

roguerouge

First Post
Try using the e6 or e8 house rule set. They're quite well thought out and fit what you're doing perfectly. Essentially, nobody can advance above level 6 (or level 8). After that point, every 5K XP, you get a feat. It models a grim and gritty campaign nicely.

Dagredhel

Explorer
A couple of products come to mind.

Legends of the Dark Ages by Charles Rice has rules for social station. (I think they're called either bloodlines or lineages, and go from serf/slave up to high nobility.) I recall that it is very crunchy, with new classes, feats, etc.

Green Ronin's Medieval Player's Manual also sounds like it might be a useful resource.

Remove ads