I need help writing a prophecy...

magnusmalkus

First Post
I need help creating a prophecy...

Some history:

I'm planning on running the Basic D&D Module, B4, The Lost City (of Cynidicea).

It features a small city-state that withdrew underground when successfully taken over by a cult of alienists and clerics.

Almost 1100 years ago, the Cult of Zargon seized power by addicting the people of the City-State to a narcotic that made them docile, keeping them in a dream like state. The city fell to debauchery and evil soon afterwards.

Eventually, It was forced underground by negiboring barbarians who waged war upon such a hive of corruption.

Three divine powers existed in the city prior to the infestation of cultists of Zargon. There was Gorm the Just, representing honor, justice, and purity. Gorm was the first king of Cynidicea and ascended to divinity through his righetousness. The Brotherhood of Gorm leads by example. A Brother never veers from their laws or the code of conduct.

Madarua the Warrior-Maiden, focused on a matriarchal ideal. She embodies the power of Women and their prominent role in the natural cycle. A later ruler of Cynidicea, She ascended to divinity due to her powerful tie to natural forces. The Warrior Maidens of Madarua would put women in charge and deal with things in an open and, if need be, brutal approach.

Usamigaras the wise is a child-image deity possessed of Magic and Secrets. Headed by very cunning men, the Cult of Usamigaras dabbles in knowledge and the power it brings. Usamigaras was yet another ruler of city during it's history. He gained the crown at a very young age by spells/charms and backing it up with a good public image using natural charisma. His rule was very long and very peaceful, mostly by keeping a superior spy network, and hence always keeping him one step ahead of the enemy and using knowledge/blackmail to keep predators at bay. He ascended to divinity thru research and rituals of ancient hermetic magic.

In todays withdrawn, undergound Cynidicea; remnants of these clergies still exists but only as splintered rebel factions. Each of the power groups has their own vision for the rising of cynidicea and none have been able to agree on a single course of action for the civilization as a whole.

It is believed that the City of Cynidicea can be restored. The prophecy says saviors will come and then Cynidicea will enjoy prosperity without end.

The prophecy reads as follows:

And that's where I end. I need a prophecy. It must account for the following:

The only way to destroy Zargon, the monster-ruler of the Cult of Zargon, is to kill him, remove his horn and throw it in a lava pit. Failure to do so will result in his return in a few days time.

The destruction of Zargons body is made easier with the use of X Y and Z artifacts, hidden nearby.

The whole task is only possible (or maybe made easier) at a certain time. I have not yet decided if this certain time is a once in a lifetime occurance or a regular occurance, and if the latter, how regular an occurance.

The prophecy must not point directly to the PC's (what if they die or switch characters?) but it must indicate that they are involved somehow. Non-cyndicieans are called Xenics and that is the term I would use in the prophecy that would indicate the PC's.

Is Cynidicea saved by the return of one of the royal bloodlines? (There is a colony of untainted Cynidiceans saved by divine forces and placed in the 'Hollow Moon') or The united effort of the three factions? What about an antidote to the citizens drug addiction, extracted from the delicate and rare Night Lotus?

I'd like for it to rhyme but Nostradamus didnt rhyme his quatrains. It should be cryptic but not indecypherably so. Mabye I'll translate it into a word puzzle too for players that like that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
OK, a few pointers:

--Don't worry about the rhyming -- if it rhymed in another language, it still won't necessarily rhyme in the Common (English) translation.

--Flowery imagery for each major element is important; this should be imagery that is veiled enough to make them scratch their heads, but slap their foreheads with an "OF COURSE!" when it comes to pass.

--The horn of Zargon becomes, "the spear of the False one" or similar. Make sure he uses something besides a spear as a weapon. :)
--Any more info on the X, Y, and Z artifacts? More details means more flowery imagery.
--the Night Lotus cure might allude to some characteristic of the flower. If it's favored of a certain god X, you could say, "X's Kiss/Gift" or if it's a blue color, you could say, "the azure blossom" frees the slaves to the False's wiles".

Keep it vague, but close enough to where changes can be made.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm about to go to bed, but I have a quick suggestion - don't write a prophecy. Write a history. Don't try to be vague to start - be very specific. Write down one version of what happens when the party succeeds, as you would a story, as if it already happened.

Then, treat it like modern authors treat King Arthur and Robin Hood - layer on some reinterpretations of what major objects and people are/mean. Then get turgedly poetic with your language. When you're done, you'll have a nice prophecy.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Or you could just have the prophecy be simple but twisted in some way. "Death of the Cult is at the hands of the Chosen few... If they find it right away." What it is has been debated for some time after all. ;)

Remove ads