• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I ran my first game yesterday!

Since Monte stole my quote, :D
"Once you start down the path to the dark side, forever will it dominate your destiny!" :eek:
Congrats on the change in job descriptions, I started playing 27 years ago, I started DMing 25 years ago, I still haven't gotten it right yet, but it sure is fun making a long series of mistakes at the expense of the players. ;)

sniffles

First Post
Monte At Home said:
Wow. While I'm sure 3-4 people a day get called nasty names by Harlan*, I'm betting not many can claim the the LeGuin jury duty story (well, maybe 10 others, I suppose)! That's really cool! I take you live in Portland, then? It may be off-topic, but I know I'd like to hear it.

*I'm not actually trying to minimize your Harlan Ellison story. I was just trying to make a joke at his expense, having had a couple of very brief encounters with him myself. I imagine that's also a really good story.

You're right about Harlan, I'm sure. I just enjoy my story because so many of my friends had stories of being in elevators at conventions with Harlan, but he didn't call any of them a bad name. And for the record, he was kidding. It was at a book signing and we were joking around with him while he signed the book we brought. Actually, that event ranks as one of my all-time favorite experiences: Harlan read "The Paladin of the Lost Hour" aloud. :D

My jury duty story isn't too exciting, but it amuses me. I was called for jury duty and was summoned to jury selection. The judge started asking all the potential jurors our names and occupations, and I suddenly realized the older lady sitting right next to me said her name was Ursula LeGuin. Later the judge asked if any of the other jurors had read any of her books and most of the people in the group said they had. When we were waiting for the attorneys to choose jurors I couldn't resist telling her how cool I thought it was to be there with her. Total geek moment. She didn't get chosen for the actual jury, though.

@The Edge - the halfling was 3rd level, but I let them roll 5d6 for two of their ability scores. I saw the player roll - he just rolled really well. His other character's scores sucked, though, so I guess it was karma. :lol:

sniffles

First Post
Okay, I'll shamelessly bump my own thread.

I ran part 2 of the adventure last Friday because we didn't finish during the first session. I had a third player this time, a friend who wasn't available during the previous week. He knows the rules *much* better than I do, which is good. But he chose to play another fighter, of which the party already had 2, along with 2 clerics - I told them not to discuss their characters with each other prior to the game.

So, when they came upon a room full of brown mold there was no one with spellcasting ability who could get rid of it. They tried setting fire to it, which made it grow. It grew into the next room, where it began to affect the earth elemental that was waiting there. The earth elemental died of cold damage before it could get out of the room (guess I should have made it a Large instead of Medium! ;) ). And they're afraid of the wind tunnel trap, so they're refusing to go that way. So they still haven't finished the adventure.

:lol:

Remove ads