• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E I really don't like the new 4E PHB cover

Dausuul

Legend
I just hate Wayne Reynolds's artistic style. I'll probably buy some old Larry Elmore print or something and glue it to my PHB cover.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Wormwood said:
Sorry, but why should I trust you?

Because he's made up!

I happen to like Dragonborn, but I can understand why others don't. D&D will ever more be plagued by war between "iconic" fantasy based upon other people's works and "D&D" fantasy built upon its own tropes.

I <3 Wayne Reynold's art,too.

Thaumaturge.

MaelStorm

First Post
Klaus said:
You're not alone.
Indeed a lot of people are complaining about the dragonborn. I like them better than the Half-Orcs. I'm not entirely satisfied by their face, but I try to focus more on the added benefit of the dragonborn race: they are not only big smashy brute like Half-Orc. They have honor and ethos. (The way I perceive the Half-Orc is biased, I know. But taste differ.)

Aloïsius

First Post
Late 3.5 was very WAR-centric (just look Eberron...). I fear 4e will still be very WAR-centric. I would hope for 5e to be Lockwood (or similar artist)-centric.

Zinegata

First Post
The artwork didn't do it for me either.

Also, I'm firmly in the "D&D should draw upon iconics" camp. Yes, the game has to evolve. But D&D is first and foremost the original RPG in the minds of most people. It's got the most history and tradition. It has to draw upon this strength, not discard it while trying to pursue other strengths other RPGs already dominate.

Nebulous

Legend
Dausuul said:
I just hate Wayne Reynolds's artistic style. I'll probably buy some old Larry Elmore print or something and glue it to my PHB cover.

I like VERY little of his stuff. I'm disappointed in the cover, although it is ultimately not important so long as the stuff inside is cool. But really, couldn't they have found a picture that didn't cause so much disapproval?

If this had been the cover (assuming no one had ever seen it), do you think there would be as much complaining?

teamwork.jpg

EDIT: and i don't hate dragonborn, i just think that WAR drew it like absolute crap. And the argument that they changed it from the tiefling because it was too "demonic" doesn't make sense: what the hell is on the Monster Manual? A DEMON LORD!

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
MaelStorm said:
Indeed a lot of people are complaining about the dragonborn. I like them better than the Half-Orcs. I'm not entirely satisfied by their face, but I try to focus more on the added benefit of the dragonborn race: they are not only big smashy brute like Half-Orc. They have honor and ethos. (The way I perceive the Half-Orc is biased, I know. But taste differ.)
Oh, I have no problem with the Dragonborn or Tiefling as races. But both covers WAR put out for the PHB were among the weakest for all 4e cover art so far. And I happen to LIKE WAR.

Zinegata

First Post
Nebulous said:
I like VERY little of his stuff. I'm disappointed in the cover, although it is ultimately not important so long as the stuff inside is cool. But really, couldn't they have found a picture that didn't cause so much disapproval?

If this had been the cover (assuming no one had ever seen it), do you think there would be as much complaining?

teamwork.jpg

EDIT: and i don't hate dragonborn, i just think that WAR drew it like absolute crap. And the argument that they changed it from the tiefling because it was too "demonic" doesn't make sense: what the hell is on the Monster Manual? A DEMON LORD!

That would be a pretty good 4E cover. Nice, traditional, and eye-catching. Just a little rough on the edges that I can't quite put my finger on.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Zinegata said:
That would be a pretty good 4E cover. Nice, traditional, and eye-catching. Just a little rough on the edges that I can't quite put my finger on.

Emphasis on the point why it probably Wouldn't be a good 4e cover. :) I understand the thinking: "Traditional" is how you capture a market of over-20's and up; non-traditional is how you attract teens and 20's to look at your product.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads