• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E I really don't like the new 4E PHB cover

Wormwood

Adventurer
Quartz said:
Very true, but I think that's a vast minority of newer players - and an even vaster majority of those who buy for them.
At the risk of sounding repetitive . . . for a couple million kids (and their parents), a hero looks something like this:

24wqys5.jpg

Quartz

Hero
GoodKingJayIII said:
Are you basing this on information or data of some kind?

I have no data, else I'd have stated it as a fact rather than an opinion. I'll just point out that you, as an EN Worlder, have likely become habituated to the Dragonborn. The person thinking about buying the book in the store likely has not.

I do hope that WOTC does some significant market research before progressing with ths cover.

Vayden

First Post
I like the new cover. I'm 27, which is just outside the legendary 18-24 demographic, but close. I'm also 90% sure that I'll be playing a Dragonborn for my first character. By the rules of the internet (take one example, preferably yourself, and apply it to everything), I declare that WotC's marketing is perfect. ;)

Doug McCrae

Legend
Henry said:
Emphasis on the point why it probably Wouldn't be a good 4e cover. :) I understand the thinking: "Traditional" is how you capture a market of over-20's and up; non-traditional is how you attract teens and 20's to look at your product.
In World of Warcraft it's generally accepted that younger players pick Alliance - traditional races such as humans and elves - whereas older players prefer the Horde - orcs, trolls, undead.

Puggins

Explorer
Quartz said:
Sorry, but the dragonborn is a right put-off for me. Not only do I not like the art, but I can see that it's going to be a real put-off for new gamers and - in particular - their parents. Give them something that will not so much inspire but validate their imaginations. Give them something that says, yes, you too can be King Arthur, or Aragorn, or whoever. Give them a reason to buy. Not a monster.

I've got a nickle to betcha that those parents won't mind dragonborn anywhere near as much as they'd mind the tiefling with the goat horns.

I'm not a bit fan of either picture either. I would've preferred some type of action shot- a re-do of the Erol Otus cover of the Moldvay edition, for example.

Quickleaf

Legend
Personally, I'd like to see human characters engaged in a heroic task using teamwork to overcome their adversary. By human I don't mean the race, but that there are features in the illustration I can relate to - fear, surprise, protectiveness, grim determination, etc.

With the cover now it looks like the incredible hulk and a glitzy supermodel striking a pose. Is that really what I want D&D players to emulate?

I think the quality of the art is excellent. It's the content I question.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Quickleaf said:
Personally, I'd like to see human characters engaged in a heroic task using teamwork to overcome their adversary.
How about forming a human pyramid?

The PCs do that in the 1e DMG's example of play.

Uh oh, I reread it and realised there's a filthy gnome at the top.

Zinegata

First Post
Wormwood said:
At the risk of sounding repetitive . . . for a couple million kids (and their parents), a hero looks something like this:

24wqys5.jpg

Not really, actually. This is something I touched upon in a thread over at Wizards, so I'll repeat what I said here.

World of Warcraft actually made a conscious effort to make two, opposing factions within the game - one composed of "heroic" races (The Alliance), and the other composed of "monstrous" races (The Horde). It's worth noting that in the early days of WoW, there were more Alliance players than Horde players. And this is despite the fact that the "monstruous" races had been retconned into becoming "Noble Savages" in Warcraft 3 and its expansion (back in Warcraft 1 and 2, they were just bloodthirsty savages).

Moreover, WoW waited until they released an expansion pack (Burning Crusade) before giving the Horde a traditional heroic race (Elves) while the Alliance got a monstrous one. By this point, the fluff had been established strongly enough so that people wouldn't be confused.

That's why the adventurers vs the dragon picture works, actually. It's the traditional image of "heroes vs monsters" which is easy to get. The new PHB cover of "Adventure WITH a monster" however, takes getting used to.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Zinegata said:
The new PHB cover of "Adventure WITH a monster" however, takes getting used to.
Took me about five seconds to get used to it.

But then again, I've been playing 'monsters' in RPGs for years.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads