I thought Midnight was great...

The Cardinal

First Post
...until I saw Dawnforge.

Buy it. Now.

Yes.

It's that good.

...yesterday my players created PCs for my first Dawnforge campaign: the demand was overwhelming - EIGHT players! I offered them two different campaigns, but they were so excited about the setting and the characters that they begged me to run

THE BIG ONE.

They've all promised to be extremely well-behaved and disciplined to make this work. On the 25th we'll start.

I can hardly wait.

Last edited:

Mean DM

Explorer
The Cardinal said:
[T]hey were so excited about the setting and the characters [snip]

Cardinal, can you tell us what is was that got them so juiced? What was it that made it so appealing in comparison to Midnight (and other settings).

Cheers,

Mark

Emiricol

Mean DM said:
Cardinal, can you tell us what is was that got them so juiced? What was it that made it so appealing in comparison to Midnight (and other settings).

Cheers,

Mark
Absolutely. Besides The 13 Kingdoms, which of course I am biased towards, Midnight has been my favorite setting. Dawnforge looked interesting (if a bit similar in some ways to T13K), but not enough information for me to decide.

Tell us what got them excited!

Turjan

Explorer
Oh, Dawnforge...

You have a bit of "Kingdoms of Kalamar" intrigue in the Kingsmarch.
You have your FR "Cormanthor" in the East, still with Elves AND "Drow".
You have your commonplace Giants/Dwarves struggle in your commonplace mountain range.
You have a bit of "Mount Doom" on an island just south of the Kingsmarch, with Tieflings who want to conquer the world!
You have your FR "Serpent Kingdoms" on a continent further south.
You have your "Dragonlance/Maztica" mix on the continent further west.

Okay, I could go on with this, but I suppose you got the drift.
Dawnforge is a collection of citations ;).

I'm still getting through my copy of Dawnforge, but after spending about three hours with the book, I'd have to say I like Mindnight a LOT better. Don't get me wrong, Fantasy Flight has done a good job with this setting, especially with the inclusion of crunchy rule ideas introduced in their PATH & other books. DF does indeed have some cool aspects ( some mentioned in a post above ), but IMO it does seem a very generic fantasy setting comparable to FR/Greyhawk. Midnight has a much more unique and explainable feel to it.

I'm sure many people have DF already, but I'd be glad to answer any specific questions if no one else gets to them first.

AeroDm

First Post
BigFreekinGoblinoid said:
I'm sure many people have DF already, but I'd be glad to answer any specific questions if no one else gets to them first.

How about two questions:

1) All I know of DF is that it takes place at the dawn of a civilization. This implies that you are more heroic because you are the _first_ heroes instead of upstarts amidst legends, right? Clearly that isn't the flavor of hte entire setting, so what is the flavor.

2) These crunchy bits you mention... do tell. How do they play a role in the setting, what are they, why are they, anyhting. I love crunchy bits.

AeroDm said:
How about two questions:

1) All I know of DF is that it takes place at the dawn of a civilization. This implies that you are more heroic because you are the _first_ heroes instead of upstarts amidst legends, right? Clearly that isn't the flavor of hte entire setting, so what is the flavor.

2) These crunchy bits you mention... do tell. How do they play a role in the setting, what are they, why are they, anyhting. I love crunchy bits.

1) Wrong implication ( perhaps - I haven't gotten that impression). While it is a golden age setting, there are still powerful movers & shakers. In fact there are "Immortals" that walk the earth and basically substitute for a standard Pantheon of Gods as we are used to in most other settings - Perhaps the immortals WILL one day be the Patheon of gods for DF...

What is the flavor? Is tough to answer as I am still trying to figure that out - That was basically the gist of my previous post - seems to be a very similar flavor to other popular fantasy settings - "you can do most everything you are used to here"

2) Crunch includes ( but not limited to ) the following:

new PC race options include ( In addition to Human/Elf/Dwarf etc...)
- a brand new doppleganger
- Minotaur
-Yuan Ti
-Lizardfolk
-Ogre
-Orc

PC's gain different racial "talents" at each level - this equates to a PC being a bit more powerful at any given level than a PC in another setting

There are also racial equipment options

Few new class options - Disciple (replaces cleric), Shaman(replaces druid), Shaper & Spirit Adept

Legendary Classes ( Prc's ) and Legendary Path options ( powers gained from Legend points - DM story based awards ) are presented here

The immortals mentioned above only grant powers in small regional areas -

Most of the book is History and regional gazeteer type stuff though

Last edited:

Remove ads