D&D 4E I wish we had Magic artists for 4e.

For the new set of Magic, WotC decided to tease us by posting some cards without any text (except for the very last one, which reveals text if you mouse over it).

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/preview/shmpack

I think this art is amazing, and I would love to run games with elements inspired by these illustrations. Then I consider the images I've seen in the 4e art so far, and I wish we had more art that conveyed the possibilities inherent in the game, rather than showing the specifics they've decided to put in the rulebook.

At the very least, some of this stuff would be great for monster art.

Better links for art available here: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=106139

I'm going to use some of this art for my home game. Maybe I can work in some evil merfolk.
attachment.php

Pale Jackal

First Post
That's some amazing art, I really like Beseech the Queen. M:tG does have some really nice art at times.

Makes me wish the PHB cover was nearly as nice... the only good "core" cover art is the DMG.

Agamon

Adventurer
Surely you're not implying that the 4E artwork we've seen in the preview books sucks? Your merfolk example is good, but a good chunk of the 4E stuff we've seen so far is better, IMO.

rounser

First Post
a good chunk of the 4E stuff we've seen so far is better, IMO.
Please tell me it's not more "PCs posing for the camera" stuff like the PHB cover. It's so non-evocative...they're not doing anything anywhere interesting, which is such a tragic waste in a game of imagination. No sense of adventure, just "I'm kewl look-at-me and my clothes and weapons and magic glow" no-one cares-ish stuff.

I thought the art direction would have corrected this - is the poseur stuff actually selling, or are they blind to the other options?

Incenjucar

Legend
Agamon said:
Surely you're not implying that the 4E artwork we've seen in the preview books sucks? Your merfolk example is good, but a good chunk of the 4E stuff we've seen so far is better, IMO.

Some.

But. You know. WAR. And have you seen the quickling sketch? :confused:

Soel

First Post
Actually, WAR's art is the only stuff I've liked thus far for 4e.

I could do with far less William O Connor, who's work is just bland (at best) to me.

There's actually a lot of crossover as far as Magic and D&D artists.

Remove ads