Iaijutsu Questions

gamecat

Explorer
1. Can someone bearing an invisibility spell cut lose with Iaijutsu on a non flat-footed opponent? (assuming they had the quick draw feat; In my campaign, quick draw allows for sheathing as a free action, so you get that Ukyo Tachibana action!)

2. If the above is legal, could you use the full attack action and make Iaijutsu checks for each hit?

3. Is a sword mage PrC that allows spellcraft checks to be made as Iaijutsu focus checks as its 10th level ability fair?

4. How should the DM rule if a natural 20 is rolled on an Iaijutsu check?

Last edited:

Jairami

First Post
1) I don't think so, it is designed as extra damage for the first attack of the combat. Someone who wasn't prepared (lost his dex bonus due to you being invisible) would be able to be sneak attacked, but wouldn't be quite the same situation as two men trying to cut each other down and one's sword getting there a moment sooner to the undefended vitals of the other.

2) I believe for game balance intents the only way you should be able to get the extra damage is when your attack is the first attack of the combat. Meaning that the first swing if you had won initiative would do the extra damage based upon your skill, and any itinerative attacks would not. It can be argued the other way, but it detracts from the high level ability of the iaijutsu masters that allows them two attacks in one swing (thus making an exception and allowing the damage twice). They are supposed to be the masters, neh?

3) I suppose so. Though I don't quite know what use having spellcraft checks of 25-40 would accomplish.

4) On the check? It's a really good skill roll, check the chart for how much extra damage. Nothing special for rolling your best. If you mean what if a successful iaijutsu attack is a critical hit, then normal damage multiplies as always and extra dice (from iaijutsu focus) does not as normal.

I'm going without my books as I'm being particularly lazy tonight, but I believe I'm at least close enough to accurate to go by and if nothing else verify other posts in response.

Geoff Watson

First Post
gamecat said:
1. Can someone bearing an invisibility spell cut lose with Iaijutsu on a non flat-footed opponent? (assuming they had the quick draw feat; In my campaign, quick draw allows for sheathing as a free action, so you get that Ukyo Tachibana action!)
No. Flatfooted means Flatfooted, not 'Flatfooted or attacked by invisble dude'.

2. If the above is legal, could you use the full attack action and make Iaijutsu checks for each hit?
No.

3. Is a sword mage PrC that allows spellcraft checks to be made as Iaijutsu focus checks as its 10th level ability fair?
Depends on the other PrC abilities.

4. How should the DM rule if a natural 20 is rolled on an Iaijutsu check?
Same as any other skill. (Look up the result of 20+modifiers on the table).

Geoff.

FANGO

First Post
For a little explanation of Iaijutsu....

It ONLY works when your opponent is flat-footed. This does not mean anything else. It does NOT work when they are simplay denied dex to AC, however it DOES work when they are flat-footed but still have their dex to AC. The only way that I know of to catch your opponent flat-footed other than in the first round of combat or in surprise round is by having Flick of the Wrist from S&S (which you can use with a katana if you have a sun blade). The extra damage from Iaijutsu focus applies on all attacks made against flat-footed opponents as long as you have drawn your weapon in the same round (this is cleared up in the combat section of OA, I believe). So yes, you can indeed use a full attack and get Iaijutsu damage on all attacks as long as you get to them before they have acted, or if you somehow make them flat-footed otherwise.

Remove ads