• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [IC] hafrogman's Hoard of the Dragon Queen

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
"Let's hope not, or we're badly outmatched..." Morgan replied to the eladrin. As the rest of the Black Tide formed up and assisted with the prisoners, she said to Jeni "It would probably be best to change back into an elf. You can help vouch for us. By the way, great job out there."

Jeni_bear nods her head in appreciation, and starts growling in bear speach as the bloodied and wounded beast transforms back into an elf maiden, continuing in common "Grlll graor grrrm ... did what I could to help." She then proceeds to help with the kobolds.

OOC: Question that is irrelevant now but that could come in play later: are the temporary HP given by Morgan transferred to Jeni's elf form, or are they lost when she shapechanges?

Forged Fury

First Post
OOC: Unless otherwise noted, I believe Temp HPs stick around until you take a short or long rest. I don't think shapechanging changes that rule. By the same token, I don't think shapechanging would refill them either if they were still in effect.

hafrogman

Adventurer
The group quickly divests three kobolds of their weaponry and secures them tightly with rope. The guards of the keep eye the prisoners dubiously as you lead them into the gates, but welcome the party themselves with warmth. They have all witnessed firsthand your bravery in defending their charges, and Linan is busy recounting your adventures thus far to a medic who is tending to Curth's wounds. The keep interior is quite small, with a single tower at the southeast side. Once everyone is inside, the guards begin to close up and bar the main gates. One of the soldiers, a sergeant by the look of his rank steps forward to greet you.

"Thank you for your assistance. My name is Sergeant Markguth. I'm sure the Governor will want to speak to you, but he's inside right now getting his wounds tend..."

The last word is cut off by the noise of the tower door flinging open.

"Dammit, stop fussing over me! Where are these people?"

An human in his 60s steps out of the tower, followed closely by a medic still clutching bandages. Although older, he manages to hold himself with a military bearing, and obvious received some wounds in the battle. The right side of his head and face are bandaged, his right arm is in a sling, and his tunic is stained with his own blood. This is Governor Nighthill.

kuey1975

First Post
As the governor approached the party, Carad allowed himself to slowly retreat to the back of the party, leaving the conversations for those more eloquent than him. Although eager to find out what had been happening, his natural reticence to speak with strangers held him back. Instead, he silently communed with Scree, whom he directed to keep a lookout from a high window, sliding his senses into him from time to time to monitor what might be happening in the town.

Forged Fury

First Post
Morgan stood tall, blood from the defeated kobolds still spattered against her cheek. "Well met. Governor Nighthill, I presume?" she asked, extending a hand in greeting. "I'm Lieutenant Morgan Cavendish, late of the Black Tide Mercenary Company." Gesturing to her companions, she continued, "These are fellow mercenaries, also formerly of the Black Tide: Hunter, Carad, and Venn. I believe you already know Jeni."

Frowning in concern, she said, "We were traveling to Greenest to meet a man named Leosin, but it appears you have serious problems on your hands at the moment. We captured three of the kobolds that were attacking the keep for your people to question and judge."

Replacing her frown with a grim smile, she said, "What's going on here and how can we help?"

Spartain104

First Post
Venn stood nearby Morgan. Despite the gravity of the situation he had now devolved into searching through his scrolls. A small bag with sheaves of papyrus overflowed on his hip, and he plucked a few at a time to compare. He muttered very softly as he scoured through them for answers, occasionally glancing to the sky. If one were to peek over his shoulder they would find strange languages, poor writing, and sometimes entirely blank pages that he would stare at for some lost amount of time.

"Often it is not what, but whom we must address. *Who* is going on here, would be more to the liking." He was addressing Morgan and the Governor, yet his thoughts seemed to trail after the first sentence. Anyone experienced with Venn within the Black Tide would've been wary of sentences like these. Venn didn't always speak nonsense, sometimes his words would later ring true. With that he gazed up from his scrolls, bunched in each hand while his staff seemed to rest firmly vertical on its own, and is eerie eyes seemed to pierce the Governor and yet stare deeply at him.

hafrogman

Adventurer
The Governor does his best to return Morgan's handshake with his left hand and nods his greetings to the rest of the party.

"Yes, I am the Governor. And both what and who are very good questions to ask. Unfortunately I do not have answers."

He gives your group a calculating look.

"Not yet, anyways."

He takes a few steps back towards the tower and gestures towards you.

"Will you indulge an old man for a moment and join me on the parapets?"

Forged Fury

First Post
OOC: Ha, oops. I should have read that description a little better.

"Certainly, sir," Morgan replied and motioned for the others to follow. "Sergeant Markguth, could you take these prisoners in hand?" she asked, gesturing to the kobolds.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Sergeant Markguth nods and he and his men take charge of the tied up kobolds who are even now rousing from their slumber. You all follow Governor Nighthill into the keep's tower. The ground floor has been converted into a make-shift infirmary with a few over-worked medics tending to injured guards and townsfolk. He waives off the attentions of the medic who followed him out earlier and leads you toward a set of stairs going up. The second floor contains a few guards trying to catch some rest between attacks, and a shield dwarf with knotted, tangled, bright red hair who is poring over plans of the keep and town. Governor Nighthill briefly introduces the dwarf as his castellan, Escobert, and then continues on to a ladder that he manages to pull himself up one-handed.

Finally you find yourself on the roof. From the top of the tower already raised up on a hill, you all have a view of the proceedings previously only available to Scree and Carad. The fires are numerous, but do seem to be individual efforts. You can see more and more figures sweeping through the town, but they do seem to be limiting themselves to small groups and pockets. The Governor pulls out a spyglass and helps you aim it. It is difficult working only by the moon and the torchlight of the enemy camp, but you can catch sight of what appears to be the enemy commander standing in the middle of a large force.

"She is too well guarded to attack head-on. But I’d give any thing to know what we’re up against, and why. The kobolds may be useful, but generally I find them thoughtless tools of stronger powers. They will babble endlessly, but say little. Now, one of the enemy commanders, even a low ranking one, that would be another story entirely.”

Attachments

• frulam.png
    frulam.png
    421.8 KB · Views: 317

Forged Fury

First Post
Morgan examined the enemy commander thoughtfully. Passing the spyglass to Hunter she replied, "We heard the name Mondath as we made our way here. No way to tell if that is her name, but it seemed like one of the commanders of this force." Taking in the rest of the town, the woman sighed. So much destruction... so many innocents lost...

Squaring her shoulders, the woman said, "If I understand you correctly, it would be helpful if we could capture an enemy officer of some sort. We spotted two people that might fit that bill on the way here, but avoided fighting them since the Swifts were with us. On our own, we could chance much more... Are you aware of any part of town that might hold one of these officers and that we could reach quickly?" Lowering her voice to as not to be overheard by the guardsmen manning the battlements, she finished, "Time may be of the essence... from what we overheard, it sounds like they're gathering their forces to the south for a large push against the keep."

Remove ads