IC - Mad King's Monkey II

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
ooc: Thought we were headed to the orphanage to satisfy Jaan's curiosity about the mask maker, Bayar is passive on this one. He got to fight in front of a crowd, and eat. So he is happy and content for once. Happy to be corrected on destination by Scott.

This is indeed where I thought we should head off to.

G

Guest 11456

Li Thuan, male human monk

As Thuan watches the ebb and flow of people up and down the street he spots a child, in a mask, with a mangy mutt of a dog. The child emerges from a side alley some 60 yards from the orphanage, skilfully using the clutter of the street to remain (unsuccessfully) concealed while carefully scanning the street before cautiously setting off down the street in the direction of the entrance to the orphanage where Thuan lingers.

Almost as soon as the monk notices the boy and dog, he finds his eyes and mind wanting to wander elsewhere. It takes all his focus and training to stop it happening. Marshalling his attention, Thuan is surprised to notice the dog is not the mangy mutt he could have sworn he first saw, but a hound more akin in size and shape of a wolf. No one else in the street appears to give the boy and wolf a second glance.

As the two move down the opposite side of the street to the orphanage the hound turns its amber gaze upon Thuan.

Thuan glances around for Libros but cannot spot the sorcerer. Then he prepares himself for what may come.

OOC: I am assuming that Libros wandered off. OK?

doghead

thotd
Day Five, Early Morning Outside the Orphanage

Thuan

The boy and his dog continue past Thuan and the entrance to the orphanage without stopping. A couple of houses along, they turn left and disappear down a narrow alley on the other side of the street.

[sblock=OOC]Haven't see ghostcat in a while. But Libros is still with Thuan and Ullara. I will have Libros re-tasked and removed from the party once the opportunity arises. But I don't like the idea of characters just wandering off for no reason. So for now consider him available. Put him in the garden of the orphanage, and therefore not aware of anything that is happening outside. He is however, within shouting range, and you can ghost-hack Libros if you need him to do something.[/sblock]

Axel

First Post
Bayar sighed in mild exasperation at Jan's lack of response. "You be needing to learn how to be choosing hard things. Life not always be having easy choices." Releasing the grip on his sword pommel, Bayar continued on toward the orphanage.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Ullara, female human druid

Ullara

Frau Wollinger sits quietly as Ullara considers the proposition, then responds. The matron's face is carefully composed, the studied neutral expression of one used to keeping their hopes in check in the expectation of receiving bad news. When Ullara concludes, agreeing to teach the children, a broad smile blossoms across the matron's face despite her best attempt to contain it.

"Thank you," she says after a moment to compose herself (although the smile keeps threatening to break out again). "I have the feeling that your answer came as as much a surprise to you as it did to me."

She takes a slow breath.

"Well, I suppose that we had better sort out some details. I really don't know anything about how one becomes a druid. I am authorised to apprentice the children when they are old enough and if I am convinced that they will be taken care of. But is this what you had in mind? They are both still quite young. Old enough to be apprenticed, but younger than I would usually like. Or were you thinking of teaching them here?"

[sblock=OOC]Eek! indeed :)

I as thinking that the children are about 12. According to Wikipedia, apprenticeships in the middle ages began between 10-15 years of age. But I haven't specified their age in the IC thread so give us some wiggle room.[/sblock]

"It did indeed. I do confess, I came here seeking an answer about rats and coming away with a pair of apprentices was not what I expected to happen this morning... But fate moves in very strange ways, and I don't think I can ignore her call. No one can, not for long." Ullara takes a deep breath herself and runs her hand through her hair. Of all the things... but it will be for the best, I think. "Frau Wollinger, I learned at my mother's side, reading from the book that had been handed down in my family of all things that grew in the woods. I studied the books to learn what to look for, but then my mother showed me survival as well as knowledge. The Witchwood can be... a difficult place, but I grew up happy with her." Ullara knows her Book of Halx is back at the house, as she certainly hadn't stopped to grab it during the chaos this morning. She only hopes rats haven't made off with it in the interim.

"There is a complication, though. I am doing a favor for the Baron, investigating the roads Between and some trouble therein, and that is part of what brought me seeking answers about rats, in a roundabout way. There is danger in what I'm doing, and I would not want to bring the children into this unaware. But until this danger is over, I can teach them here. I have the book I was taught from, the one passed down in my family, and it's quite the weighty tome by now. But!" she raised a finger, knowing that weighty tomes and young children are not always the best of friends. Certainly the book had seemed intimidating to her as a child. "It's also full of pictures and stories of how the plants are best used, and what nature creatures you might see. I thought of it as a book of tales, albeit one where I could learn to be the heroine of the story someday. I want to bring the book here so the children can read it, and so that I can try to resolve this danger as well and soon as I'm able.

"But for now, let us tell the children the news?" Ullara says, her smile a little tremulous.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

ooc: I am thinking that is has been so long since I made this post, It was forgotten [10 days ago!]. Bayer's short term memory seems to have missed this!!

Jan Sighs heavily. "Bayar, Its a no show. Lets grab some more food and head over to the orphanage and see what we can find there."

Scott DeWar

Bayar and Jan

It doesn't take Jan and Bayar more than a few minutes to find someone who can give them directions to the orphanage. With recent events in the street, children in masks, along with goblins and crazy mercenaries, is the hot topic of discussion.

Its about 10-15 minutes away. You set off.

A block or so along the way Jan spots the beggar to whom he sold his cloak. Wrapped in Jan's cloak, the man has set up in the corner of a square and is performing a rambling epic accompanied by a collection of improvised instruments for effects. Whether drawn by the cloak, or the story, he has gathered about him about half a dozen listeners.

Bayar nods in the direction of the street storyteller and gently fingers the jewel in his sword hilt. "You be wanting your coat back?"
"huh. Lets listed to the old master story teller. " Says Jan with a wink. He pulls out his "New old coat" And takes several steps forward, leans on a nearby wall and listens with a smile on his face.

Axel

First Post
Bayar moved near to Jan and stood with arms folded across his chest, listening. "I never be hearing a story I be part of before," he remarked.

Remove ads