IC - Mad King's Monkey II

Axel

First Post
Bayar shrugged, though the gesture lacked some impact given the rigidity of his armour. "It be good to not make this personal. We not be in town to be finding mask makers and goblins. Yes, it all be very interesting for people who be liking conspiracies, but we best be moving on soon. The goblin be dead, so honour be satisfied for the cook's boy."

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
**shrug**

Jan's shrug is a lot more pronounced. "I am thinking that this could happen again and we would create a lot of good will here by catching whoever is behind this. I am just suggesting."

doghead

thotd
Day Five, Early Morning, in the Orphanage

Ullara

"I always said I would teach my own children when it became time, but I've never found someone to have any with. Perhaps this is my sign. Yes, Frau Wollinger, I would be honored to teach Heddy and Leon," Ullara says, still feeling rather surprised at herself.

Frau Wollinger sits quietly as Ullara considers the proposition, then responds. The matron's face is carefully composed, the studied neutral expression of one used to keeping their hopes in check in the expectation of receiving bad news. When Ullara concludes, agreeing to teach the children, a broad smile blossoms across the matron's face despite her best attempt to contain it.

"Thank you," she says after a moment to compose herself (although the smile keeps threatening to break out again). "I have the feeling that your answer came as as much a surprise to you as it did to me."

She takes a slow breath.

"Well, I suppose that we had better sort out some details. I really don't know anything about how one becomes a druid. I am authorised to apprentice the children when they are old enough and if I am convinced that they will be taken care of. But is this what you had in mind? They are both still quite young. Old enough to be apprenticed, but younger than I would usually like. Or were you thinking of teaching them here?"

[sblock=OOC]Eek! indeed :)

I as thinking that the children are about 12. According to Wikipedia, apprenticeships in the middle ages began between 10-15 years of age. But I haven't specified their age in the IC thread so give us some wiggle room.[/sblock]

doghead

thotd
Day Five, Outside the Orphanage

Thuan

The boy with the coins wanders off, bored with the stranger who won't talk to him and probably hasn't seen a dragon. Thuan continues to wait outside the orphange for Ullara.

[sblock=OOC]Can I get a Perception Check and two Will Save Checks.[/sblock]

[sblock=Jan and Bayar]So, Baron's Residence, Herr Bourn's Library, the Orphanage, or somewhere else?[/sblock]

G

Guest 11456

Li Thuan, male human monk

The boy shifts his weight from one foot to the other, then back again.

"Umm ... Do you have any coins?" he says eventually. "From Shanzi," he adds by way of clarification, although stumbling a bit over the pronunciation. "Wanna swap? You probably can't use your coins here. I have some SaxImperious coins. You can use them here.

"Why are you interested in the mask man?", he says suddenly changing tack. "Heddy thinks he is a druid. He does have a dog that can disappear, so maybe he is a druid. And some children, but I don't think that they are real children."

He reaches into his robe and pulls out small pouch and spills the contents into his hand; three copper coins, two local and one not, as well as a quarter bit of silver.

"These are my swap coins. I have other coins, including a real gold coin. I don't have them now. Frau Wollinger keeps them safe for me. They are not swap coins, so you can't have any of those."

Thuan was trying to contemplate the meaning of trading coins for coins.

The boy with the coins wanders off, bored with the stranger who won't talk to him and probably hasn't seen a dragon. Thuan continues to wait outside the orphange for Ullara.

By the time he had made up his mind on the subject the kid had moved on, so he returned his attention to watching around himself.

OOC: Perception Check 20; Will Save Checks 15 & 25

Axel

First Post
ooc: Thought we were headed to the orphanage to satisfy Jaan's curiosity about the mask maker, Bayar is passive on this one. He got to fight in front of a crowd, and eat. So he is happy and content for once. Happy to be corrected on destination by Scott.

doghead

thotd
Day Five, Early Morning Outside the Orphanage

Thuan

As Thuan watches the ebb and flow of people up and down the street he spots a child, in a mask, with a mangy mutt of a dog. The child emerges from a side alley some 60 yards from the orphanage, skilfully using the clutter of the street to remain (unsuccessfully) concealed while carefully scanning the street before cautiously setting off down the street in the direction of the entrance to the orphanage where Thuan lingers.

Almost as soon as the monk notices the boy and dog, he finds his eyes and mind wanting to wander elsewhere. It takes all his focus and training to stop it happening. Marshalling his attention, Thuan is surprised to notice the dog is not the mangy mutt he could have sworn he first saw, but a hound more akin in size and shape of a wolf. No one else in the street appears to give the boy and wolf a second glance.

As the two move down the opposite side of the street to the orphanage the hound turns its amber gaze upon Thuan.

[sblock=OOC]The street is about 25 feet wide (wide enough for 2 carriages to pass carefully). I am working on the assumption that Thuan is one the same side of the street as the orphanage, somewhere near the entrance. But you haven't specified that, so let me know if Thuan is on the other side of the street.[/sblock]

doghead

thotd
Day Five, Early Morning, somewhere in the Backstreets of the City

Bayar and Jan

It doesn't take Jan and Bayar more than a few minutes to find someone who can give them directions to the orphanage. With recent events in the street, children in masks, along with goblins and crazy mercenaries, is the hot topic of discussion.

Its about 10-15 minutes away. You set off.

A block or so along the way Jan spots the beggar to whom he sold his cloak. Wrapped in Jan's cloak, the man has set up in the corner of a square and is performing a rambling epic accompanied by a collection of improvised instruments for effects. Whether drawn by the cloak, or the story, he has gathered about him about half a dozen listeners.

Axel

First Post
Bayar nods in the direction of the street storyteller and gently fingers the jewel in his sword hilt. "You be wanting your coat back?"

Remove ads