(IC) Quickleaf's Rime of the Frostmaiden

Quickleaf

Legend
Mountaineering Roles

Russet is well versed in climbing mountains, from his days as an outlaw. His powerful legs help him jump from foothold to foothold.
Athletics without pitons: 1D20+5 = [13]+5 = 18

Russet realises that in these conditions he has no chance of tracking the yeti. He instead focuses on navigation
Survival for navigation: 1D20+3 = [10]+3 = 13

OOC: is the investigating the scene covered only by Logrim's investigation check or am I free to go over and look inside the crate, for example?

While Russet might not see as far as some of his traveling companions, he notices the telltale signs of avalanche hazard – the slopes of the Cairn are at an angle of between 30 and 45º, and there was snowfall just last night (almost 24 hours ago). A tremor or disturbance above could potentially trigger an avalanche. With your blindsight, you can also hear the crackling of ice resting on a layer of snow, suggesting that loud sounds or heavy movement could cause ice sheets to shear off. These are treacherous conditions indeed.

GM: Yeah, you're free to look in the crate.

The travel roles are only meant to streamline the rolling & keep the flow and focus moving (i.e. avoid "oh but I'll do X, I'll help Y, and I'll also do Z" tendencies). They also help give a few abilities a chance to shine. They are NOT meant to hamper interaction or your creativity.

Quick Summary... (you've collectively succeeded on the group Athletics check)

Lumrolur (lookout Perception 14 superior dark), athletics 13 SUCCESS

Arik (dog handler)
Corse (hammering pitons & produce flame) athletics 19 SUCCESS (used pitons)
Russet (navigating 13) athletics 18 SUCCESS

Alma (watching for danger, passive 13 darkvision, light spell)
Zeth (watching for danger, passive 15 devil's sight) athletics 11 SUCCESS

Logrim (investigating 9) athletics 3 FAIL (used pitons)
Jack (watching for danger, passive 12)

Last edited:

domminniti

Explorer
While Russet might not see as far as some of his traveling companions, he notices the telltale signs of avalanche hazard – the slopes of the Cairn are at an angle of between 30 and 45º, and there was snowfall just last night (almost 24 hours ago). A tremor or disturbance above could potentially trigger an avalanche. With your blindsight, you can also hear the crackling of ice resting on a layer of snow, suggesting that loud sounds or heavy movement could cause ice sheets to shear off. These are treacherous conditions indeed.

GM: Yeah, you're free to look in the crate.

The travel roles are only meant to streamline the rolling & keep the flow and focus moving (i.e. avoid "oh but I'll do X, I'll help Y, and I'll also do Z" tendencies). They also help give a few abilities a chance to shine. They are NOT meant to hamper interaction or your creativity.

Russet takes of his helm and his long ears unfurl and he listens. (I'm flavouring the blindsight as being a mix of listening and detection from his feet).
Have a care! I can hear ice cracking underfoot. And any loud noises might make all that snow up there fall on us.
Tread carefully and be quiet! Let the little folk investigate the camp. Big folk follow me and step where I step
Russet uses his blindsight to lead the heavier people safely around the potentially cracking ice.

Corse - I ain't got a good track record with avalanches. What do you suggest we do?

Logrim - What is in the crate? Looks like it's fallen down from above!

Logrim nods to Russet. He gives a hand signal to Ludo to stay then being careful where he steps moves over to the crate. Once he is sure that he is safe he begins to investigate the crate and it's content.

OOC: Investigation of crates: 1d20+3 13 Not sure if this was needed. If it's not ignore it or use my old roll.

happylace

Explorer

Alma struggles up the mountainside, her feet slipping and her hands shaking with effort. Her usually stoic countenance is pulled tight with effort. At their first break, she's heaving for breath. While usually she delights in listening to stories, she only gets bits and pieces of what Russet shares. Most of her consciousness dedicated to the abject misery of physical labor.

"R...Researcher....stars..."

The rest ends all too soon and she steels herself for the rest of the trip. By the time they reach the camp, she barely has the wherewithal to notice Lumrolur pointing a crossbow at them. She puts her hands on her knees and catches her breath. This is the most animated she's been so far.

There's a tension when she does notice. She straightens, still panting. Her eyes flit to the others. But the gnome seems to regain himself and Corse speaks to him calmly. So she assesses that the danger has passed. But now she's on her guard.

Alma scans the abandoned camp site. No signs of life so far. She begins to make the motions to cast when Russet remarks about the treacherous terrain. She hesitates. Holds off.

If her magic goes arry up here, it could be serious trouble. She'll wait, at least, until they don't have a better, safer lead.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Logrim nods to Russet. He gives a hand signal to Ludo to stay then being careful where he steps moves over to the crate. Once he is sure that he is safe he begins to investigate the crate and it's content.

OOC: Investigation of crates: 1d20+3 13 Not sure if this was needed. If it's not ignore it or use my old roll.
The crate is made from pine wood - one of the few tree species near the lakes of Ten-Towns. No symbols on the exterior, just signs of having been vigorously scratched by something dog-sized. One cracked slat allows you to peer inside and see a bunch of oilskin covered packages. With a bit of leverage, you can crack open the crate and discover 12 days worth of trail rations – mostly dried fish and pemmican (a blend of tallow, dried deer, and dries berries), with a few roasted hazelnuts. It's pretty banged up as if it tumbled end over end down the slope.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Even if Aric isn't very strong and climbing isn't his strong suit, he manages to move without problems, at least this time.

Answering the call for his story, and rather laconically, Aric says "I'm the last of the Vunarg Clan, and I managed to survive in these lands until Maeth showed me how to be closer to the lands and the animals."

As they get closer to the crates, Aric takes the time to perform another magical ritual and asks Boy "Do you recognize this place and do you smell anything?"

OOC: Athletics roll: 1d20-2 = 16
OOC: no advantage taken (lucky roll!)

Quickleaf

Legend
Even if Aric isn't very strong and climbing isn't his strong suit, he manages to move without problems, at least this time.

Answering the call for his story, and rather laconically, Aric says "I'm the last of the Vunarg Clan, and I managed to survive in these lands until Maeth showed me how to be closer to the lands and the animals."

As they get closer to the crates, Aric takes the time to perform another magical ritual and asks Boy "Do you recognize this place and do you smell anything?"

OOC: Athletics roll: 1d20-2 = 16
OOC: no advantage taken (lucky roll!)
siberian-husky-lee-ann-shepard.jpg
Boy sniffs around the camp, moving slowly as he sniffs the bedrolls inside the tents, before circling back to Aric wearily. It has been a long two days for the dog. "Frooo ch-ch <Food camp>," he huffs, anxiously wagging his tail. "Ruff! Garr-rr! Goo-rr-mrr! <I smell dogs! I smell Garret! I smell mountain goats!> ...arrr...shrr-rr grth...r-rrrh. <...and maybe...big stinky person...and little person.>" He barks decisively up the mountain above the icy outcropping.

happylace

Explorer
Alma sniffs her coat self-consciously. She subtly Prestidigitates some of the sulfur smell away. While the others explore the camp, she bends down to try and listen to Aric speak over the howling winds. ''It said there was a Big Stinky Person and a Little Person. We suspected the larger creature could be a yeti. If that's the case, it's likely that the smaller creature may be offspring.''

She looks back at Corse and the others. ''Some animals are known to be extremely aggressive when around their young. Would this be the case with yeti as well? We may need to be even more cautious than we expected.''

Remove ads