[IC] Turmoil in Ghelspad (Scarred Lands)

Torillan

First Post
- Here are the characters:
Torvin the Scribe (Mountain Dwarf Conjurer 3)
Soleril Quilserve (Dark Elf Monk/Rogue 1/1)
Harl Gurrok (Mountain Dwarf Barbarian 3) [Note: Torvin's cousin]
Lydia Sitarak (Human Necromancer 3)
Ashcroft Skulos (Half-elf Druid 3)

Dusk on Vanday, the 8th day of Corot

It's been raining for three days. The journey north from Burok Torn was miserable, yet uneventful for the most part. As you begin unpacking the pack animals to set up camp for the night, your thoughts drift back to the audience before King Thain, five days before.....

"My lord", began Kalok, the King's arcane advisor. "These you see gathered before you have offered their services to me in the endevour of which we spoke of last. I have briefed them while they broke fast this morning, but perhaps they should hear from you regarding the sensitive nature of their mission."

"First of all, I give you my thanks", said the King. "Master Kalok has vouched for the two of my kin, and also spoke highly of he who was once our enemy. As for the Human and the half-breed, I will place my trust in you for the sake of my people."

He continued. "The mission I have requested is one of great importance. We have discovered in our libraries ancient texts that speak of gates, or portals as Kalok calls them, that were found by our kin in their wanderings in ancient times. While not many were found, they were operated by keys made of crystal. Some crystals had been in our vaults for centuries, their importance unrealized until now. We are quite certain others exist. In fact, that is what you are to find for me."

"Why is this so important, you may ask? Well, we found one of these gates in our mines not more than a month ago. The stone tablets found nearby revealed some information, but it was written in a tongue that is not well known nowadays. What was it that you called it, Kalok?"

"Slarecian, my liege", Kalok said.

The King nodded, harumphing once. "Yes, that was it. Anyway, the tablets talked about the crystals, but not how to use them to open the portals. Once we realized we had some, we realized that if anyone else had crystals, they could now reach the heart of our kingdom through the gate we found. The texts from the library revealed that an ancient dwarven chief was buried with one, so we need to find that one quickly."

"The reason it must be found is that only this morning was I told that the scroll with this information is missing. Apparently, we have a spy here in Burok Torn. Who or what they are working for, I cannot tell. But suffice to say, that speed is of the essence. We were able to copy the map that was drawn on the scroll, which gives a general idea of where the tomb of this chieftan is. Therefore, I have supplied horses or ponies for those that need them, and enough rations for a months journey. They will be ready to depart in the morning."

By the time camp is set, the rain has stopped, and with midnight approaching, a thick, bone chilling fog has enveloped the valley.

More to follow.....

Voadam

Legend
"Torvin have you ever . . . Torvin! Over here. I'm trying to talk to you Dwarf! Have you ever heard of these "Slay-see-ans" before? Are they an ancinet titan spawn? Would they pour through the arches if we don't get the crystal or do you think it is a Calastian or Dendrali spy who took the scroll and whole armies could enter if we don't get it back?"

Hammerhead

Explorer
Lydia pulls her thick black robes around herself, shivering due to the cold rain and fog. She had volunteered to join this expedition and aid the city of Burok-Torn, in an effort to foster goodwill between her homeland and the dwarven city. The city-state of Hollowfaust had need of allies against Virduk and Calastia. Lydia also had a personal interest in learning dwarven arcana. The dwarven mages always seemed to have the best spells, except in the school of necromancy, of course. That was firmly in Hollowfaust's domain.

Lydia brushes her hand through her cold and wet dark blond hair, frowning. She makes a few quick gestures and intones an arcane phrase, instantly drying her soaked robes and hair as a puddle of water falls to her feet. Unlike most spellcasters, she seems able to cast without producing extreme amounts of heat typical of arcane magic.

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Voadam said:
"Torvin have you ever . . . Torvin! Over here. I'm trying to talk to you Dwarf! Have you ever heard of these "Slay-see-ans" before? Are they an ancinet titan spawn? Would they pour through the arches if we don't get the crystal or do you think it is a Calastian or Dendrali spy who took the scroll and whole armies could enter if we don't get it back?"

"The Slarecians are dead and gone; they were older than most titanspawn, some say older even than the gods. I would be quite surprised were they to arrive, though I imagine many scholars would be glad of the opportunity; what little we know of them is truly fascinating."

ferretguy

First Post
After stowing his traveling gear, to protect it from any damage from the dampness in the air, Solaril breaths deep the cold air letting his mind drift over the events of the last few months. Traveling with his relatives ! has definitly been an interesting endever. Unlike his old master, these dwarves are ruled by their emotions....the larger one prone to ride his temper during a fight, the other unable to fight. Interestingly enough, the group he now traveled with included a human and a half-breed..Gods...2 years ago he would never of thought of traveling with beings like this...
Solaril smiled...Ahhh but then again...how many of my kind can ever say they were invited into the Dwarven Kings throneroom for a quest of upmost importance?

Voadam

Legend
Paxus Asclepius said:
"The Slarecians are dead and gone; they were older than most titanspawn, some say older even than the gods. I would be quite surprised were they to arrive, though I imagine many scholars would be glad of the opportunity; what little we know of them is truly fascinating."

"Hmmph. So either the Calastians, 'Dralis, or a third group. I hope its the Calastians. I've wanted to chop up more of them since we had to withdraw into the mountain.

Sol, did uncle Draeor tell you how we used to live in the lands outside? Until that cursed Virduk moved on us burning village after village. By the gods I'd like to get my hands on a Calastian! Oh well, even with this damned rain its nice to feel dirt under my feet again instead of just more of the same stones I've seen for years. I'm happy with any shift for the night's watch, just let me know."

Last edited:

Torillan

First Post
First light

The night passes without incident. By the time the sun rises, the clouds have cleared, and it promises to be a pleasant day. As you begin to stow away gear for the last leg of the journey, all of you can't shake the feeling that you're being watched from afar. No one sees anything or anyone, but there is the unmistakable feeling of being watched.

The map indicates that by mid-afternoon the group should reach the general area of the tomb. You set out just as the sun has begun burning off the fog.

[OOC - let me know what the marching order is. I'll use that from now on unless you tell me otherwise.]

(Attached is the copy of the ancient map that was copied before the original was stolen.)

Attachments

• ancient map1.bmp
    156.9 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Torillan said:
The night passes without incident. By the time the sun rises, the clouds have cleared, and it promises to be a pleasant day. As you begin to stow away gear for the last leg of the journey, all of you can't shake the feeling that you're being watched from afar. No one sees anything or anyone, but there is the unmistakable feeling of being watched.

The map indicates that by mid-afternoon the group should reach the general area of the tomb. You set out just as the sun has begun burning off the fog.

[OOC - let me know what the marching order is. I'll use that from now on unless you tell me otherwise.]

Torvin walks behind Harl.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
For those who don't know.. I'll be gone until Sunday night. Have fun and keep me alive.

as for marching order... Ashcroft will take second rank when dungeoneering and mounted o the left of the goup towards the middle in wilderness settings.

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads