• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Icemist and Beyond: Characters from Small Beginnings

fett527

First Post
A word on Crits and Fumbles

The feloine did not blink as he took aim and pulled back on the crossbow’s release, the mechanism spitting out the bolt like the snap of the hooded snakes Ander had seen in his youth. The iron missile flew forward to strike its target directly in the horned head before falling straight down to the floor. The winged devil again began to laugh and dance, frolicking in the air.

Ander looked down at the seemingly useless little bolt and back at the flying devil, a smile forming on his face as wide as the one that Ashrem himself now sported as he recognized the missile for what it was: one of the feloine’s special bolts left over from his service during the demon wars. The scout had once told him that the missiles were specially blessed by the servants of the War Maiden Balsta, meant to pierce the evil aura that protected demons.

Suddenly, the Imp’s frolicking turned to wild contortions as the creature tore at its head with its claws. “What have you done? The pain!”

Ander watched as energy crackled around the devil causing the creature’s leathery hide to blister and crack like mud on a dry sunny day. Shafts of brilliant light emanating from deep within pierced the devil’s limbs, growing brighter with each passing breath, until with a bright flash all that remained was a bit of smoke and a few ashes that drifted silently towards the floor.

I quoted this part of the story hour to address a house rule that we have instituted. We have always loved critical hits. Not the roll in your particular crit range, you confirm, you roll more dice, but the you roll a 20 and YOU JUST BROUGHT DOWN THE WRATH OF THE GODS UPON THEM!!! (Ok, they're not always that extreme, but they can be.) Back in the day, we used crit and fumble charts. You roll a 20 or a 1, roll percentile to see what happens (Dragon magazine I think). We eventually, and I do believe Enkhidu did this, made our own crit and fumble charts as we went along through 2nd ed. We did this because of the fun, unexpected and great role-playing opportunities that could come out of these circumstances. Some of the most fun and memorable events in our games have occurred because of an extreme crit or fumble. Then 3rd Ed entered the picture and changed the landscape of crits and fumbles. Hmmm...what were we to do to integrate the new rules with the fun of the percentile rolls? Here's the outcome: we have always believed that when you roll a natural 20 something extra good always happens and when you roll a 1 something bad always happens. (Rolling a 20 and only doing normal damage just takes that special feeling out of rolling a 20) So, first we decided if you roll a natural 20, but do not confirm the crit then max damage is applied. Second, we decided if you roll a 1 and are in range of an opponent you incur an AOO. Third, if you roll a 20 and then roll another 20 we roll percentile for the outcome (now to be decided solely by the DM-no tables) the higher the roll the better. Fourth, if you roll a 1 and then roll another 1 (confirming a fumble basically) you roll percentile for the outcome (same as above) the higher the roll the worse the outcome.
In the scenario form the story hour I, playing Ashrem, rolled a 20 and then rolled another 20 and then rolled percentile. The percentile roll was high enough that dshai527 decided the blessed crossbow bolt destroyed the creature outright-describing it pretty much the same way as it is in the story hour.
Also, I should add that we decided to modify things even further. The critical criticals and critical fumbles (as we have come to call them) were not happening with as much frequency as we wanted them to. Rolling 20 back to back or 1 back to back just doesn't happen very often. Remember this is all personal preference, but we decided to increase the chances of having these occur. Every player now rolls a 4 sided die at the beginning of the session. (We call this the luck of fate roll. Fate has decided that the character has more luck than usual-both good and bad.) This is to determine the confirmation range for a critical critical or critical fumble. Example: I roll a d4 and get 3. To confirm a critical critical after rolling a natural 20, I now will do so on an 18, 19, or 20. If I roll a 1 on the d4 it would still only be confirmed with a 20. The same for the fumbles, I take the 3 from the previous example and apply it to fumbles which would be confirmed on a 1, 2, or 3.
This is just something we love to do to spice things up and throw a little chaos into the mix every so often.

Last edited:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I figured that of all people Fett would never be lonely. What with all those clones and everything.

As an avid fan of all things Small Beginnings, I think your crit system is pretty neat. I'm not sure our group would use it any time soon though.

The reason being that we came to 3E from a Rolemaster background (myself and one of the other players wrote a couple of the companion books for that system). RM has a VERY detailed crit system that tells you precisely where you were hit, and additional hit points damage, bleeding, stun, ability to parry on following rounds and any combat penalties as a result. It can certainly be fun, but after about a dozen years playing that system, we were just a bit burnt out on it. The relative simplicity of critical hits in 3E has been a breath of fresh air.

When I DM, I try to creatively describe the combats including critical hits. But I'm a little gunshy about making the system more elaborate than it is.

But if it results in the highly entertaining games that I love reading about in the Small Beginnings Story Hour, I've got to give it props. Thanks for posting that, Fett.

fett527

First Post
Rel said:
I figured that of all people Fett would never be lonely. What with all those clones and everything.

It's fett as an in boba; post clones so I would be very lonely.

But if it results in the highly entertaining games that I love reading about in the Small Beginnings Story Hour, I've got to give it props. Thanks for posting that, Fett.

There will be many more entertaining moments from our crits and fumbles. Thanks Rel!

Anyone else? Black Bard, Badger, HULK, LiVeWiRe (if you're still out there)?

Badger

First Post
Of Crits and Failures...

Sorry for not getting to post earlier, but as this is visitation weekend, I'm all about trying to be uber-dad, especially now that I have both arms to work with.

In all of my past groups, the concept of the "critical hit" was as hard pursued as the holy grail. The group I was with always consisted of the following players, a klepto mage with a desire to polymorph into a tarrasque, the Drizzt wannabe with twin blades to match, my NPC (always a priest as the group would need healing constantly), and a male ranger who accidentily put on a girdle of opposite gender and liked being a "faux chick". *rubs temples from many bad memories on that last one*

I do wish however, we would have had the god dice roll to use in advance, as I think I would have applied it to all aspects of things, including saving throws. When I took the helm as DM, I added the luck attribute to the "core" stats as a reason to allow the guys to redo saves from time to time. For all # above 10, they got a free reroll each session, for all # below 10, they lost a roll and it was in my hands alone. Surprisingly enough, they soon became three of the luckiest mo' fo's god put on this green earth..*L*

However, back to the point. I think it is a cool twist on things, and I look foward to more "House Rules" that you guys have in effect.

Badger

"Putting the "fun" back in dysfunctional..."

Black Bard

First Post
I'm sorry for my abcense, I just can't afford the time to read...( Really a shame...I still didn't read the last Small Beginnings installment!!!!)

About the crits...Our group enjoy some pretty dramatic outcomes in crits... We consider every natural 20 a crit, and if the second roll confirms a hit, we go to the criticals tables in the old Player's Options: Combat & Tactics ...Of course I feel free to play those crits in a interesting way, often coming up with some unexpected effects...

The same applies to fumbles...But we don't use any fumble tables...Which make it even more funnier for me...:D ( I will never forget the monk entering the tavern to join his friends in a tavern brawl...He furiously charged his opponent, trying to deliver his powerful flying kick move...But his 1 made him go straight to the bottle stands behind the balcony...)

LiVeWiRe

ENergetic Comm. Supporter
More to read!

As if getting caught up on the SH wasn't enough..now I've got all this great additional content to read as well!

But, that's a GOOD thing!

I'd rather have too much to read than not enough...seems like since I've been away, you guys (fett, enk & dshai) have been cranking out the material! :D

Is there some correlation there...??? ;)

Anyway more thoughts, quetsions, etc. shortly...

Badger

First Post
*turns on helmet light*

Hello....hello....

*spots greatest OOC thread on board on page two*

Great googalee muugalee...what is this work of art doing here?

*Places thread carefully in pack and then runs for the first page where it belongs....*

Badger

Remove ads