D&D 5E Icewind Dale Films for Inspiration

TheSword

Legend
So having recently read the book Alive about getting stranded in the Andes, and having watched The Thing tonight my Icewind Dale blood is thawing nicely.

What other films, TV shows or books would you recommend to get a person into the Icewind Dale mood? Particularly in the thriller/horror vein?

If anyone recommends Frozen, Ice Age or Happy Feet they’re getting blocked 😂😂😂

[Edit] So far

Alive
The Thing
The Day After Tomorrow
Empire Strikes Back
30 Days of Night
Pitch Black
Cliff Hanger
Call of the Wild
Alien v Predator
Everest
The revenant
The Grey
The Road
Game of Thrones
Shackleton
X-Files (Episode Ice)
Frozen 2 (under duress)
The Terror
1 Hour Photo

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
Ahah. I’m actually watching that one now. In a world affected by a supernatural winter, it actually seems pretty reasonable. I particularly like the build up.

MarkB

Legend
If you're going to be running Rime of the Frostmaiden specifically, then Pitch Black might be appropriate. Really play up the darkness element of the setting.

aco175

Legend
What was that mountain climber movie with Stallone? He was some sort of alpine guide/rescuer.

Call of the Wild might have more old-school feel with survival, even the Disney other sled dog movies are good. You could even stretch the AvP movie with a secret aliens base under Antarctica with the Predator people hunting them. I also recall a cool WW2 escape movie where some people are in Siberia and escape and need to walk to India to be rescued.

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
Here are touchstones from my IWD supplement
1610846624575.png

Remove ads