• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Icewind Dale II

Azure Trance

First Post
Anyone play it? I started a party a little bit ago, they just made 2nd level and are still in Targos, but I suspect not for much longer. I took a lot of +ECL races, and based on www.gamefaqs.com FAQ on ID2 went for min/max potential.

• Human Paladin (Eventually Paladin 3 / Fighter ?)
  • Drow Rogue (Event. Rogue 21 / Ranger 1 / Fighter 9)
  • Aasimar Cleric Tempus
  • Human Cleric Mask
  • Aasimar Sorceror
  • Human Wizard

I think. Haven't played the game in a day so I'm a bit iffy. Just got over a 1000 gold and considering to get a magical +1 item perhaps ;D

Shapermc

First Post
You are in for a treat. This is a really challenging (if not a bit H'n'S at points) game. Make sure that you talk to everyone in town and do all the side quests that you can for them. This makes a big difference. [Possible Spoilers]...........................I had to redo the battle at the Targos Palasades (sp?) about 4 times then I remade my party. I, at this point min/maxed my Half-Orc Barbarian and put him at the front of the party (the paladin made me loose too much $$$ :D). He was the strongest, after that I used a deep gnome female as a illusionest. I made the rest of the players with regular stats and no other ECL's. Other than one ECL you are screwed at the low levels. This is a serioulsy hard game but for me that is a good thing. I also like to challenge myself and put it at the hard difficulty. It is a pretty fun game, but I wish that I had the time to go through it again. I would like to see if I could get different outcomes for certain events.

Last edited:

Destil

Explorer
I'm in the last chapter now. Some of the 3E rules could have been more throughly incorperated. For instance sneak attack has 3E damage, but uses mostly 2E circumstances it can be acheved, since it's also limited to 1/round it's fairly week, really, and I'm dissipointed given what a total monster my half orc fighter / barbarian is once we throw down some buffs. Lack of some key armor types from 3E is also a big disipointment for me, since I'd like my fighter / rogue in a chain shirt (simply to match her portrate). There's also a large lack of feats, and I've found that at 12th most of my PCs don't need to many more tifelinf pure rogue excluded), only one of my three front liners took more than 4 levels of fighter.

Seeing all the connections to the first IWD is really heart warming. Both (as well as heart of winter) are excelent Hack and Slash, and I'd have to say I'm enjoying it far more than Neverwinter (stupid, stupid henchmen!) for the single player game.

My biggest problem with the game itself is either I'm ahead of the XP curve or the're seriously stingy with higher level spells, I always go through roughly 1/2 to 1 1/2 full levels before my wizard gets access to scrolls with for new spell levels.

My party:
Grosh, half-orc Fighter 4 / Barbarian 9. Uses a great axe. A true monster in every sense of the word, I've seen his strength as high as 32, and his damage is typicaly in the 16-28 range with 3 attacks, 4 when hasted. Without his daily bulls strength(I needed to drop a dispel magic before my last save) he has a 23 str right now...

Oresia of Tempus: Human battleguard of Tempus 9 / Fighter 4. Uses a battle-axe and a shield. Also quite nasty in melee, and gives me a few more daily buffs, some summoned undead and quite a bit of healing to boot.

Lelia: Half elf fighter 7 / rogue 6. Miss generality, she uses whatever weapon she can find (no specific weapon feats). A nice flanking partner for....

Iouna Shadeheart: Tifling rogue 13. Started with 18 int and dex, and took her a while to get all the basic feats I wanted. It's almost a good thing two weapon fighting dosn't help Ice Wind Dale II rogues much, in this reguard. Many skills maxed. Note: Yeah, ECL rules here are wrong, but perhaps work better than the 3e rules over a long run, since the extra bonus from tifling at least becomes more and more insignificant as I progress in levels.

Alessia Moonshade: Human Silverstar of Selune 13. She's a pure cleric who uses a long bow. Took a while to get the basic feats for bow use, since I wanted a pure spellcaster, but there's an abundence of feats in IDW2, with no meta magic or item creation. All she needs now is greater spell penetration and mabye some more spell focui.

Threen Spellspear: Human transmuter 13. Poor guy only just got his first 7th level spell scroll, and it's rather weak (sufficate). Oh, well.Mass haste rocks the party, as does his daily cats graces for Iouna and Alessia.

Like all PC games, it's low magic (items at least. Spell scrolls have some issues, too) comparied to 3e default, and uses a super inflated cost system for magic items.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
I played as far as chapter 2 before I got busy with something else and put it aside. Reading this thread though, makes me want to go back to it.

Warning though, don't put your paladin in first position! They keep refusing the rewards that are offered, and by golly, you will need the money!

mmu1

First Post
I stopped playing it about 2/3 of the way through the game for several reasons:

1. After BG2 and Torment, there's only so much pure hack and slash I can take - although the game is definitely better in terms of this than the original IWD.

2. Problems with magic items and magic. There are no interesting weapons - the game gives you things like a +2 sword that can cast Cure Light Wounds and Bless three times a day at 15th level, rings of protection don't go above +3, and there is practically NO magical armor. When I stopped playing, I had 300,000 gold and nothing to spend it on.

3. There were too many damn bugs, including the infamous delay problem - the game runs at normal speed, but when you click to give and order to attack, the party freezes in place. For 30 seconds. In a doorway.

LrdApoc

"Insert Title here"
I guess my problem with IWD II was the tactical aspects.

I have played all the other Black Isle/Bioware titles and felt they had a good balance of H&S and story overall.. IWD was skimpy, but had some fun parts.. however IWD II was so darned difficult fromt he beginning that I decided rather then doing the min/max route I would just move on.

Also a lot of the failings of the infinity engine still were not corrected.. such as the horrible pathfinding and questionable AI routines for PCs.

I thought the story interresting, but not good enough to want to play through battles five+ times before reaching 3rd level.

Remove ads