Idea for a new Metamagic feat...

Bran Eaglecleft

First Post
I was just reading the Dragons sourcebook for EarthDawn and came across a passage where dragons can determine what is affected by their breath weapon...ie they can breathe fire on a massive melee, but their allies are unaffected.

So...I was thinking about creating a Metamagic Feat to use this effect. It would affect area effect spells only. Here's what I've come up with so far:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friend or Foe (Metamagic)

You can choose which targets are affected inside an area effect spell.

Benefit: Any targets in the effect of the spell may be excluded from that effect. A friend or foe spell uses up a spell slot x level(s) higher than the spell's actual level.

Normal: Any targets in the effect of the spell are affected by the spell.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now...I'm sure I'll have to create a way to limit the number of allies unaffected by the spell...maybe 1 target/3 levels?

How many spell levels should this add to a spell?

Any critiques, comments, questions, or insults are more than welcome!!

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Do you have the FRCS?

In the Archmage PrC, there is a special ability that allows the Archmage to alter the shape of area-effect spells... For example, leaving a 5x5x10 ft. hole in the middle of a fireball to spare an over-eager barbarian.

It could easily be converted to a feat.

A different means to the same ends.

EOL

First Post
My experience is such that it's pretty rare for a spell to not get cast because an ally was in the affected area, of course with this feat it might become more common, so my first inclination would be to make it 1 level higher, or perhaps one level higher per 5 people excluded, so if you wanted to exclude 10 people it would be 2 levels higher. In any event once you hit three your sort of bumping heads with the chain spell feat which not only specifically targets individuals, but makes the spell more powerful as well.

Remove ads