D&D 5E Ideas for mixed skill checks?

Have you guys implemented mixed skill checks in your games?

An example of one we use at our table is when a spellcaster wants to subtly cast something. For example, a cleric subtly casting command might make a WIS (Deception) check to see if he can hide the attempt from bystanders. I.e., WIS because that's their spellcasting ability and Deception because command requires a verbal component. Similarly, we've used Sleight of Hand for spells requiring somatic components.

Tormyr

Hero

An example of one we use at our table is when a spellcaster wants to subtly cast something. For example, a cleric subtly casting command might make a WIS (Deception) check to see if he can hide the attempt from bystanders. I.e., WIS because that's their spellcasting ability and Deception because command requires a verbal component. Similarly, we've used Sleight of Hand for spells requiring somatic components.

I generally don't allow hiding casting because it impedes a bit on the Sorcerer's Subtle Spell metamagic, but I have used Charisma (Investigation) to replace the old Gather Information and Streetwise skills.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter

I've also done it when a spellcaster needs to accurately place a ranged spell. It's never certain that they can place it just so.

discosoc

First Post
Mixed checks are pretty common, but I'm not sure I'd ever allow the caster to hide a spell being cast. The book makes it pretty clear that spell casting requires a bit of focused concentration, and some or all of verbal, somatic, and material component manipulation.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Str (Intimidation) is a classic one, though we ask for the character to perform some physical feat to accompany it.

Likewise, Int (Social skill) could work, if the character has access to some specific, useful information and for some reason the DM decides the results are worth checking for.

Hmmm... what else? A few examples could be:

Int (Athletics) for climbing in certain contexts, where there's an abundance of easily acquired hand/footholds and many are potentially hazardous.
Wis (Persuasion) for know when to say, rather than what to say? Though that's probably folded into a Cha and the social checks..
Con (Athletics) for endurance-based activities, such as long distance running/swimming/skiing.
Dex (Medicine) for surgical acts such as removing a tricksy chunk of splintered bone from behind the heart, without nicking something vital.
Int (Stealth) for coming up with a plan that involves intrusion/by passing security patrols and all that good stuff.
Str (Perfomance) for fair/circus style weight lifting? Let the little guy with Cha (Persuasion) work the crowd.....

..and so on..

I generally don't allow hiding casting because it impedes a bit on the Sorcerer's Subtle Spell metamagic, but I have used Charisma (Investigation) to replace the old Gather Information and Streetwise skills.

CHA (Investigation) is a good one Inquisitive Rogue archetype comes to mind.

Thinking about Subtle Spell, it "feels" special to let sorcerers not require either verbal and somatic components outright (vs obscuring them)., the mixed skill check I mentioned has a chance to fail (per component required depending seems fair) and still requires the components themselves. So for instance, suble spell is still better in an area affected by the silence spell or restrained.

Mixed checks are pretty common, but I'm not sure I'd ever allow the caster to hide a spell being cast. The book makes it pretty clear that spell casting requires a bit of focused concentration, and some or all of verbal, somatic, and material component manipulation.

I interpret the rules to define which components are required, but the exact requirements of the components seem open ended in a lot of instances. For instance, where in the book does it say how loudly Misty Step must be cast?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I interpret the rules to define which components are required, but the exact requirements of the components seem open ended in a lot of instances. For instance, where in the book does it say how loudly Misty Step must be cast?

The only requirement is that it cannot be whispered. Also, most of the spells that explicitly note what is needed for the somatic and material components could be done unobtrusively. Is it really impossible to hide "pointing at someone and whispering a message"?

Remove ads