• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Ideas for special properties for magic leather armour?

DMBrendon

First Post
My PCs have recently acquired some magic black studded leather armour from a goblin wererat. I'd like to give it a special property or ability, in addition to the usual +x, to make it more interesting. I don't want it to just be adding +whatever to something that they can already do. Have you got any ideas?

BTW, the character wearing it at the moment is a ranger, and they're underground.

Last edited:

Derfmancher

First Post
What level is he, and what is his play style? The new Ultimate Equipment has some new properties in it, perhaps there is one to fit his needs.

Empirate

First Post
Here's some suggestions, of varying power level:

The wearer of the armor can Meld Into Stone 1/day.

The wearer can absorb the armor into his body, gaining its armor bonus as a natural armor bonus (and wear more armor on top of it!), but takes on a grisly, were-ratty appearance when doing so.

The wearer can Hide In Plain Sight in underground locales.

The wearer is protected from involuntary form changes (petrification, disintegration, polymorphing, involuntary assumption of the were-form).

The wearer attracts rats and can speak to them (Summon Swarm and Speak With Animals at will, but only rats).

The wearer can become incorporeal as an immediate action for 1 round, 3/day.

The wearer gains a bite attack (1d4 + Str) with a disease effect (Filth Fever) by speaking a command word. He also grows a prehensile tail, which can be used to hold items, but not to attack, and which grants a +4 bonus to balance checks.

The wearer is at risk of contracting Lycanthropy whenever he takes damage while wearing the armor (Fort save each time...). Not so much a boon, but might still be considered cool!

Painfully

First Post
I smell a rat!

Perhaps the smell of the were-rat has absorbed itself into the leather. The armor can charm a modest swarm of ordinary rats, or perhaps up to 2 giant rats, or maybe even a dire rat (adjust as appropriate to the PCs level), and cause them to act similar to an animal companion with limited empathy-type commands. This effect could be made temporary by having it removed if the armor is ever properly cleaned. I would even throw in a bonus to have enemies track the wearer by scent by +4, just because I like to put a double-edge on magic items. ;)

psiphre

First Post
the pungent odor of wererat has suffused the dark leather, giving the wearer a +2 circumstance bonus on handle animal checks to control or direct vermin, a +2 circumstance bonus on sneak rolls when dealing with vermind and a -2 penalty on social rolls against good-aligned races.

the wearer's two front teeth grow abnormally large, giving them a particular lisp and a -2 penalty on oratory rolls (singing, reciting, possibly bluff checks)

while within 20' of a character wearing the armor, intelligent creatures sometimes see movement out of the corner of their eye, as of rats scuttling about from shadow to shadow, but when they turn their attention to the movement, all is well.

Remove ads