ideas to stock the "Sharper Image" of Adventuring Gear stores

FoxWander

Adventurer
Things like gimmicked mundane items, alchemical items and accessories, enspelled items and psuedo high-tech semi-magical gadgets. Here are some examples that I've come up with throughout my gaming career, from simple to high weirdness...

- A collapsible 10' pole
- Attachments for 10' poles like mechanical fingers, mirror holders, continual flame plugs
- Tanglefoot bag launchers
- Continual flame lanterns
- The Auto-Ram - Put a permanent Shrink Item on a portable battering ram, spike it shrunken before the door, then unshrink it. WHAM! No more door. We've house ruled that it adds a +20 to open door checks)
- The Cure Light potion CamelBack - A 1/2 gallon wineskin with a long flexible hose. Sure it costs 3200 gp for 64 potions and a wand would be a heck of alot cheaper, but fighters can't use wands. ;)

Ways to use Shrink Item (SI) and the Attune Gem feat:

- "Can I get some back up", SI (cloth) skeletons tied to a Spell Gem with 'Animate dead'. Attach it to a arrow/bolt/bullet for some long distance chaos

- "Spell Resist this!", SI some chains and large size tanglefoot bags to Spell Gem with 'Bind', attach to your missile of choice. Its a web spell for high SR foes.

- "I love the smell of napalm in the morning", this is a little more complicated. Create a 'grenade' with a weighted bottom so it always lands right side up. Give it a hollow center with six holes to the top at about a 45 degree angle. In the center put several gallons of SI'd oil and then plug the holes with SI'd alchemist's fire. A magic mouth that goes off 1 round after the thrower says "Bombs away" (or whatever) says the command to unshrink the oil. The high pressure of the expanding oil shoots the plugs out and covers the surrounding area with oil, then the SI'd plugs land and unshrink also, burning anyone nearby and igniting the oil. Its a pocket firestorm!

Those are just a few things but you get the idea. I'm sure you people have thought of similar things over the years, so lets hear them! Revel in your cleverness!

Bonus question- what kind of defense can you think against DM's who want to hit you with a Dispel Magic and make all your Shrink Item gadgets explode like the 4th of July? I've thought of three.
1) Spell Gems with Dispel Magic triggered by Dispel Magic for automatic counterspelling.
2)Enchant the container you carry them all in with the MoF's Spellblade enchantment vs. Dispel Magic.
3)Carry them all in a Bag of Holding, since the Rope Trick description makes it clear that spell FX cannot cross extra-dimensional barriers, your gadgets would be safe from Dispel Magic

BTW, my DM doesn't let me play the character who came up with those last three anymore. Especially after I thought up those defenses against Dispel Magic making me the ammo dump with a match tossed in. :)

Last edited:

FoxWander

Adventurer
Ok this is just a shameless bump, but I KNOW you people have thought of some nifty gadgets in your time! Come on, no 'continual light' stones in clay jars as light bombs vs. drow and other easily blinded foes?! (At least back when it was called 'continual light' and was VERY bright as opposed to just a flame now.) No glass jars of green slime?! Or jars of rot grubs?! Greek- err, excuse me, ALCHEMIST"S fire projectors?

Come on, what kinds of specialized equipment of you devised for your characters?

FoxWander

Adventurer
BTW, I'm not actually going to make a store that sells all this madness in my campaign world. What am I - INSANE!!?!!

No, my players are quite devious enough with out my making it easy for them. I just want some more ideas for my Gnome rogue/wizard gadgeteer. I love the look of worry/terror on my DM's face when my character says- "Wait, I've got an idea!"

Impeesa

Explorer
Get a large barrel. Put a layer of lead in the bottom so that when you drop it it lands properly. Stick a tube down the center. At the bottom of the tube, put a flask of Alchemist's Fire. Fill the rest of the tube with black powder. :) Now, fill the empty space between the tube and the outer barrel with caltrops. Dribble oil on them if you're feeling nasty. Put the lid on, seal everything up tight, and launch it from catapults or drop it from a flying mount. Shrapnel bombs away! :D

--Impeesa--

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
How about this:

Climate Controlled Armor!
Masterwork armor with a permanent chill/warmth cantrip on it, keeping the wearer toasty warm in cold climates and cool in hot climates. This does not equate to fire or cold resistance, however. The armor automatically adjusts its comfort level when it detects a change in temperature. Makes a great gift for adventurers and soldiers!

Remove ads