• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Identify Magic Items

Jack Colby

First Post
GMs still have the option to declare that some items have powers that aren't immediately obvious. Which is to say that you get the best of both worlds: ease of use for most magic items, where identifying was just a hassle. But for important, mysterious, interesting or cursed magic items the GM doesn't have to tell you everything, leaving the "mystique" intact.

Actually, the GM still can do anything he or she wishes.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
If I understand the rules correctly, you can learn the properties of one magical item per short rest, if you already know that it is magical. To actually detect a magical item, an arcana skill check is necessary. Is this correct?
I'm bumping my own question, because I'm a bit confused by the detection rules...

mattdm

First Post
Well.... yeah. Because why would you fiddle with something looking for its secrets if it's not already known to be magical?

I agree. But if one do fiddle with it, even someone not trained in arcana is likely to go "huh, that's odd — look what this does!"

vagabundo

Adventurer
Arcana specifially mentions a "Sense the presence of Magic" and in the description mentions "items".

So use arcana to look at a load of items and pick out the magic ones. Use the fiddling rule on your short breaks to figure out its properties.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Arcana specifially mentions a "Sense the presence of Magic" and in the description mentions "items".

So use arcana to look at a load of items and pick out the magic ones. Use the fiddling rule on your short breaks to figure out its properties.
The DC is rather high, though. At first level there is more than a 50% chance (for a single check) of missing a magical item.

Well.... yeah. Because why would you fiddle with something looking for its secrets if it's not already known to be magical?

Chris

Well, you found it, don't you? Then it must be magical.

I mean, in 4e when you are of a certain level you only find magic items of level x or above, now of course this doesn't mean that you don't actually find lower level magic items, because that would not make sense, it is only assumed that trhey are below your notice and you don't even bother to pick them up, so the DM don't even mention them, and if the DM don't mention low level magic items do you think he would mention a normal non-magical item? expecially if is something like a cloak or a pair of boots.

Beside if you were right it could happen that you leave behind that (your level + 4) magic item because you rolled a one on your arcana check, and that would be certainkly not fun.

Syrsuro

First Post
Well- you could always create a skill challenge to identify the items, using religion, history and arcana with a few others allowed as appropriate.

Personally, I think it makes more sense (if you don't like the auto-identify rules) to create a level 1 ritual that the PCs can use when they stop to rest.

Carl

Jhaelen

First Post
Well, you found it, don't you? Then it must be magical.

I mean, in 4e when you are of a certain level you only find magic items of level x or above
Umm, completely untrue.

Actually, you'll find a lot less magical items than in 3e since monsters/npc no longer require them to be effective or they don't even work for them (because of their magical threshold).

One of the big advantages about treasure parcels is that it's incredibly easy to make up for 'overlooked items' should things become unbalanced. Just add the parcel to a later encounter/treasure or as a quest reward.

Remove ads