D&D 5E If Psion is fixed and official does it belong into FR as basic and RAW?

RSIxidor

Adventurer
Assume there is finally some official product for a psion/mystic class, should it then become part of the base lore and part of all settings or only for those who have extensive lore for it like Eberron or DS?

If an official book does not declare that a class or concept that underlines a class is common in a particular setting, I'd suggest it is likely still possible in that setting but uncommonly seen. Not all classes fit all settings, and WOTC should be willing to say if psionics don't fit one of the official settings. I'm not sure that they will do that, though.

Weiley31

Legend

I know there's a thing against 3rd party/dmguilds stuff, but if your really hankering for some Psionics in your DND games, seems like Anthony Turco, this kind soul, has got us covered.

It's some more of that sweet Eberron Korranberg Chronicles goodness, but for Psionics. So it's easily adaptable in my humblest of opinions.

Note: the URL just keeps posting as the default dmguilds website URL, but clicking on it takes you directly to the Korranberg Chronicles Psionics supplement page.

Last edited:

Ringtail

World Traveller
I see no issue with them being a standard option for FR but labelled with that "uncommon" brush that Dragonborn and Tieflings get in the PHB. Most people just ignore that anyway so its really just there for DMs who want more nuance.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Being the last known Servant of the Fallen (Auppenser), I as DM would have psionics in FR - but - a user would be Rare if not Legendary or even Unique. You run into one for a reason, not because of a random encounter table roll.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Well, my FR is different from your FR, which is different from his FR, and all of those are different from their FR. So ... maybe? You say 'belong' and 'RAW' like you can force a rule into a campaign, which is only a problem for AL play. Even if WotC published a FR supplement that did have psionic content, I still wouldn't feel obligated to use it.

Personally, it would be all about cool. If the rules are cool I'll use 'em, if they suck or are super OP I won't. I don't particularly care about standard.

Shiroiken

Legend
Psionics is completely optional, even in established setting, just like everything else. Yes, there may be psionics in FR lore, but that doesn't mean the DM has to allow them as a character choice. The same is true for any class/race/background/whatever that doesn't fit the campaign outlined by the DM. The only exception to this would be Adventurer's League, and they will determine their own rules (presumably they will be legal).

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
So here is one for you sinkhole fans:

Assume there is finally some official product for a psion/mystic class, should it then become part of the base lore and part of all settings or only for those who have extensive lore for it like Eberron or DS?

Before you answer to quick: Psionics was a big thing for FR back 2nd edition.
E.g. Xorlarrin drow matron in Menzoberranzan was a multiclass psion cleric.
Mobs like aboleth and mindflayers did have their psionic and nonpsionic versions.

So what do you think about it, and much more interesting for me :
If you are not fond of psionics becoming a standard for official FR, but want Dragonborn in Greyhawk and dual rapier wielding gnome Paladins in Darksun why is it that you deviate from your principles?
I don't really care if psions exist in FR or not, I do however very much care that FR lore not be baked into the psion class itself. Baking FR into psion would displace setting specific stuff from settings where psions are important to the settting.

Remove ads