D&D General If the king has no children could he name his wives cousin, whose young enough to be her son, as heir to the throne?, after all he's only a in law

JMISBEST

Explorer
I've had a thought about something that could in the world my group will soon be campaign in but if it does happen it will be years after the campaign ends

My question is if the king, whose currently only the crown prince, has no children could he name his wives cousin, whose young enough to be his wives son, but not young enough to be his son, but despite that he's always treated him like the son he never had, as heir to the throne?, after all even though he is a member of the royal family he's only related to the king by marriage not by blood or even by adoption?

If it helps The Kings Cousin by marriage/his wives cousin, whose young enough to be his wives son, but not young enough to be his son, but that despite that he's always treated like the son he never had, is also the nephew of A Duke and by various marriage's he's related to 4 Barons, 2 Baroness's and 1 Earl. Does that make a difference?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Maybe the King changes the succession order to agnatic seniority.

The King does what the King wants.

1653531248702.gif

Ixal

Hero
Not sure if there is any point in responding, but I do it one more time.

1. It depends on the local customs.
2. If there are any other people who, by custom, should inherit first.
3. If the other nobles are on board with it.
Joker: If the king is powerful and influential enough to silence all opposition.

Basically the king choosing his successor, either during his lifetime or through his will is not that unusual. Only if it is followed once he is dead is a different question.

pukunui

Legend
I've had a thought about something that could in the world my group will soon be campaign in but if it does happen it will be years after the campaign ends
You're thinking about stuff that could happen after the end of a campaign that hasn't even begun yet? For all you know, your character will die during the campaign, rendering any epilogue you come up with moot. Or something else might come up during the course of the campaign that changes your character's path, again rendering any epilogue you prepare in advance moot.

Have you considered writing a novel about these characters instead of playing them in an RPG campaign?

MGibster

Legend
The thing with a hereditary kingdom is that you can really upset the balance when there's a question of who the heir is. So, sure, the king could simply declare that niece or nephew is now the heir. Will the rest of the kingdom accept that? What if someone else has a stronger claim to the throne as they are a direct descendant of a former monarch? What if there are factions who would see a different heir ascend the throne as part of their own bid for power? There's all sorts of things you could do with this situation.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases